Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   guides (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6054)

angler4545 02-15-2006 06:13 PM

guides

any tips on hiring a guide to fish the smokies.
also, what should i expect from a guide?
is there a percentage or scale on tipping your guide?
fairly inexperienced at flyfishing and would love some insight.
thanks

David Knapp 02-15-2006 06:37 PM

Re: guides

Angler4545,

I highly recommend hiring a guide to help you on the learning curve. I spent a half day with Walter Babb a few years back because I wanted to learn to fish nymphs effectively, particularly using the "highstick" method. That was the best spent money in fly fishing for me. I am mostly self-taught and I learned more in a few hours from Walter than I had learned in a few years of trying to figure it out on my own. Be totally honest up front with your guide. Let them know your level of experience, and any technique that you want to work on. Any good guide should be able to help you learn a lot. I would recommend NOT focusing on catching fish as much as refining techniques. Sure, a good guide should put you on some fish, but the focus should be on learning unless you can afford a guide just for someone to fish with. Also, the guide should not fish. By the way, depending on your skill level, LRO does fly fishing schools also that might help you. There is a day in a classroom learning the basics of knots, etc. The second day is on-stream practice with certified instructors there to help you. I haven't taken any classes myself, but knowing the people at LRO I can tell you it will be very well done.

David

littlerivermike 02-15-2006 10:12 PM

Across the county guides cost between $175 to $425 per day. *This is more a local area variation than between guiding services in the same area. *Smokies guides are customarily at the lower end of this scale. *Silver Creek, ID runs $400+ per day for all guides. *Full fee day usually includes lunch and transportation but usually not flies, leaders or rental equipment which can be extra. *Wheather there is 1 or 2 customer can, but usually does not increase fee. *Drift boat vs wading can increase fee. *Tip can run from 0% to 25%, averaging 10 -15%. *This should not be based upon fish caught! *It should be based upon your total experience. *Hope this helps. *

ps. I am not a guide

RFowler 02-15-2006 10:28 PM

Angler, here's a list of good Smoky Moutain guides, there are more but this is a short list of the ones I know personally. The advice given to you so far is spot on.

Chris Montgomery
Walter Babb (as mentioned)
Hugh Hartsell
Randy Ratliff

You will learn from these guys and they will show you a good time!

PA is so right with his post. Just be honest with your guide and you will have a blast and so will he. You will be comfortable and so will your guide. You will learn things you never knew you could do. Give us a report when you go!

Joel 02-16-2006 10:14 AM

From my personal experience, Chris Montgomery was excellent. Learned more about fishing in the Park in half a day than I could have by myself in months. Also if you a a newcomer to fishing, LRO has classes for beginners. Also happened on the Lefty Kreigh weekend last yr. Learned more in 15 minutes than you can imagine. Joel

3flies 02-16-2006 10:40 AM

I have never hired a guide but thought about it when I first got started. My dad flyfished when I was very young about 5 to 10 years old. Then we fished the warmer lakes of East TN, mostly trolling for Walleye and stripers and whatever would hit. ;D Then in my early thirties my stepdad gave me ###mart rod and we went after the blue gill like there was no tomorrow!
I tried it in the park after tiring of catching the gills so easily and could not make it cast well enough to put the fly on the spot. After about six months I bought a Penn rod no. 4, 7ft. and Orvis reel. Caught my first trout in the park the first time I tried it. Needless to say from there on I was hooked. :'(

Woody 02-17-2006 01:58 PM

A guide is certainly of great value, espically if you have never fished in the park before. I learned more from my day with this guide they I ever though was possible. Great guy. However next time I hire a guide, I well get someone closer to my age. He wore this old man out climing over rocks and boulders all day. But let me asure you, he definitly put me on the fish.