Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Slickrock Creek (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6090)

ccmmcc 02-24-2006 09:04 AM

Slickrock Creek

Does anyone have any experience fishing Slickrock Creek? I have finally committed myself to fishing it this year. I would like to know about the trails going into the creek. How far of a hike is it, how difficult, can it be a day hike or should I plan on camping, etc? Are there any specific areas on the river to fish or avoid? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

smctrout 02-24-2006 10:54 AM

Re: Slickrock Creek

It has been 'way too long since I last fished Slickrock Creek, but I like it a lot. The fish are wild, and very spooky. Part of the trail follows an old logging railroad roadbed, which at times is high above the creek. I was walking on the roadbed and looked down at the creek which was at least 50 feet below. Those trout were going everywhere! They could apparently sense the footfalls of the people who were with me. You must be vewy, vewy stealthy to catch those trout!

The easiest access is to cross the lake by boat where the creek runs into the lake (Calderwood, I think). The next easiest access is to park off Highway 129 below the Cheoah dam and follow the trail which runs along the lake until you reach the mouth of Slickrock Creek. The hike to the mouth of the creek is about 3 miles, I think. There are other access points, but they are much more difficult.

It's probably best to plan to camp alongside Slickrock Creek. I think that you can camp anywhere, because it's in a Wilderness Area. I don't know if the Forest Service is maintaining any of the footbridges across the creek or not.

Don't bother fishing until you pass the lowest waterfall on the stream. There are 2 waterfalls. It's a great place to fish, but it's remote, for sure.

WRN 02-25-2006 09:21 AM

FROM THE TRAILHEAD OFF HWY. 129 THE WALK TO THE MOUTH IS AROUND 40 MINUTES. FROM THERE YOU HAVE ABOUT ANOTHER 40 OR SO MINUTES TO THE FIRST FALLS. THIS IS IN MY HUMBLE OPINION WHERE THE BEST BROWN FISHING STARTS. NOTICE I SAID FISHING AN LIKE ONE OF THE OTHER GENTLEMEN SAID THEY CAN BE A TOUGH CATCH. ANYWAY I DO NOT THINK SLICKROCK FISHES AS GOOD AS IT DID THE LAST DECADE. TWO TO FOUR WTS. BEAD HEADS, WITH SOME ADDED LEAD AND BUSHY DRYS. BE CAUTIOUS UP THERE CAUSE IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE FOR THIS AREA. GOOD LUCK.

3flies 02-28-2006 08:43 PM

We backpacked into Slickrock from the top of the mountain (TN side). Bear hunters and bear dogs were everywhere. A couple of dogs stayed with us for three days that we were there. We were well above the falls.We camped above the stream crossing of the main trail, a small branch that we had followed on the way in emptied into slickrock just above the campsite. Rainbows were the only fish I caught but they were plentiful.
Later on we canoed Calderwood Lake and camped at the mouth were it enters the lake. The fishing down there was the hardest I have ever seen. The fish would disapear at the slightest sign of movement.

ccmmcc 03-02-2006 03:06 PM

Is it possible to park my car below the dam and then canoe down the lake, following the trail, to the mouth of the creek? When I get to the mouth of the creek, can I canoe upstream or is it rocky and narrow right away? From the mouth of the creek I can then hike up above the first falls and it seems to be about 40 minutes, correct?

3flies 03-03-2006 01:31 AM

If you are coming in from the TN side you can turn onto an access road just before you get to the ****. Follow it down to the put in area on the lake. It is then about a 30 min. paddle down the left side of the lake to the mouth of Slickrock. You cannot paddle up the creek, it is too rocky, shallow and narrow. There are plenty of places to pull your canoe out of the water and then take the trail up stream. When I was there a lot of the side trails were not marked with any kind of signage. A good map was needed if you got off the creek trail. You may also catch trout in the lake. A good streamer, Wooley Bugger and sometimes dries and nymphs will work. I caught most of the fish in the creek on a Thunderhead and a Georges Nymph. E-mail me if you would like more details. The way we went in took about 4 hrs. of backpacking. By accessing the creek from the lake you should be able to make a day trip out of it. Again pick up a good map and check the distance before you go. Remember this is a wilderness area if you go during hunting seasons you will have to deal with a lot of deer and bear hunters. I also recomend some sort of survival pack and if you can help it do not go alone. A simple slip on a rock could be disastorous.