Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Over-Lining (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6121)

littlerivermike 03-04-2006 07:03 AM

Over-Lining

What the pros and cons of "over-lining", (3wt rod with 4wt line, etc.)???

tennswede 03-06-2006 06:01 PM

Re: Over-Lining

It will slow your rod down since it is a heavier line, it will load better. There's a whole debate among engineers about this. I overline most of my rods pretty regularily.

3flies 03-09-2006 01:03 PM

Usually a slow to medium action rod does not require a heavier line. I have found that short casts with a fast action rod loads better with a heavier line. It seems to help most with the shorter rods. My 7 ft. 4 wt. works best for me with a 5 wt. double taper. For longer casting a weight forward line may be called for.

DrewDelashmit 03-09-2006 05:27 PM

While "over-lining" the rod will help make short casts by loading the rod quicker, it is not a good idea for longer casts. When making a long cast over-lining the rod reduces the rod's ability to effectively carry a long length of line outside of the guides. I find that in general most well designed rods cast best at all distances with the stated line weight.

Scott 03-19-2006 06:35 PM

I find there are no "generalities" when it comes to which flyline works best for a particular rod. I have an 8'6" 5-wt, moderate-action rod that I was happy with using a 5-wt line. When I tried a 6-wt line, the rod simply came alive and I've never used the 5-wt line on it again. I can also cast weighted, beadhead wooly buggers up to 60 feet on this set-up using a double haul, and at the usual shorter distances, it casts like a dream. This is not a high dollar rod either.

Conversely, I have a fast action, 6-wt that I bought at LRO last year. Before purchasing the rod, Daniel assisted me as we both tried it out on the grass. I asked if we could cast the rod with a 6-wt line, plus a 7-wt. I brought along a bulky, weighted Matuka Scuplin fly to test the rod with. This fast action rod cast beautifully with the 6-wt, but felt dead with the 7-wt line... like casting a cable.

Currently, I use two lines for that particular rod, both 6-wt (nymph taper, plus a fully compensated, full sinking line) and it casts beautifully with both.

Therefore, I think you need to try before you buy. Each rod is different and you should not make assumptions about how a rod will cast with a particular line. Take your rod to the shop and ask for their help before buying a new line. You might be surprised... hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Remember, a fly outfit that casts well must be properly balanced. It's not guesswork... you gotta try things out.

Tight loops to you... Scott

littlerivermike 03-31-2006 09:12 AM

Thanks for your responses. Fished WF-4-F on my Scott S3 3wt yesterday. Worked great.