Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Cellular Phone Coverage (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6201)

Duggie 03-24-2006 11:09 PM

Cellular Phone Coverage

Is there good cellular phone coverage in Townsend? What about in "some" of the areas of the park?

pmike 03-24-2006 11:19 PM

Re: Cellular Phone Coverage

You shouldn't have any problem with a signal in Townsend. I have T-Mobile and always have a decent signal within the city limits of Townsend.

Coverage in the park is another issue. There are no towers within the park and thus no coverage that I have been able to find. Some folks have discussed obtaining satellite phones for use in th park if a person must be able to communicate by phone, but it can be quite expensive.

Personaly I think it's kind of nice to be able to escape and be or remian out of touch in the park for a few hours :)

Mike

Duggie 03-24-2006 11:32 PM

I have Verizon, suppose I could be in a roaming mode there but that would be okay. You can rent satellite phones for about $59 a week, but with shipping to your home and insurance, it could approach $90 for the week. Guess I am a boy scout by nature, "always be prepared", just wanting to know what the options might be. Thanks for the response.

ccmmcc 03-25-2006 09:19 AM

My advice: try and find a way to leave the cell phone at home. It will make for a much more pleasant fishing trip for you and others around you and may increase your life span due to lack of stress and your ability to appreciate your surroundings more fully!! This comes from a man who makes his living talking on a cell phone for approximately 6,000 minutes a month. However, I understand that sometimes it's nice to be able to check on sick kids, important business matters, or maybe, just maybe you're playing hooky ;) and need to be able to get to a phone. In that case, the entrance to the park @ Gatlinburg has a pretty good signal for the first 100 yards or so. You can get a Nextel signal and a Verizon signal. Good luck.

T Pat 03-25-2006 11:07 AM

I have Cingular and get spotty coverage - mostly on high spots. My sis-in-law has Verizon and always has a signal. We have camped out all over the place and she chats like she's never left Atlanta. Careful what you ask for. :)

Duggie 03-25-2006 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info people...........would only be using the phone in an emergency situation and to check on family, otherwise it won't be turned on :)

robb 03-25-2006 08:57 PM

I have Verizon and get a strong signal around the Laurel Falls trailhead parking lot on TN 73 and can get a spotty signal that comes and goes in the Metcalf Bottoms picnic area, seems to be strongest by the bridge. The signal switches in and out between digital and analog at Metcalf Bottoms, too. I seem to remember getting a signal on Newfound Gap road at one of the pullouts that overlook the Sugarlands valley. Hope this helps.

Duggie 03-25-2006 09:50 PM

Thanks Robb for that information :)

FRW 04-01-2006 11:37 PM

I have Tracfone and have no problem in the Townsend area, once you get into the Park it is a whole different ball game. Your reception will pretty much correspond to your radio reception, if you can hear your radio you can probably use your cell phone.

TomW 04-09-2006 01:45 PM

I have Cingular. Different phones will give different reception for over a year my wife could get reception in Townsend I couldn't so I changed to her phone model. If it is of any help Onstar phones work almost everywhere. Just a little expensive and the Tahoe doesn't go where the blue line streams are.

Tom