Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   3 wt rod (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6219)

oldwun 03-30-2006 10:36 PM

3 wt rod

I want to get a 7 or 7"6 3wt rod. I am retired and we are putting 2 kids thru college so price is a factor. The second factor is I want to purchase the rod locally and LRO is about 2 hrs away but I don't know which rods they carry that will fit my budget. I am looking in the $100-$150 range. Any suggestions?

TNFishnstix 03-31-2006 11:58 PM

Re: 3 wt rod

Look at the TFO line, Temple Fork is a hard rod to beat for the money....

T Pat 04-01-2006 01:29 AM

Second on the previous post about TFO's. Have a 5 wt that I use on bigger water and I rank it right up there with my other more expensive rods. In 3 wt rods, TFO has the Finesse line which are 4 piece rods @ around $180, the Professional line which are 4 pieces @ around $140, and the 2 piece Signature Series for around $90. There are a number of different lengths. I have no connection with TFO other than owning one of their rods. I'm sure that the folks at LRO can help you figure out what would best suit your needs. Good luck.

oldwun 04-01-2006 03:26 PM

Thanks.... TFO seems to be a popular rod. I will call LRO and see if they carry them. I like to buy local if at all possible.

TNFishnstix 04-01-2006 04:22 PM

I think you will be very pleased with your decision. I fish mostly bamboo or fiberglass, but if I am fishing graphite, my go-to is an 8'6" 4 pc. 3 wt tfo Professional....gotta love that action.

LD

92Esquire 04-02-2006 06:32 AM

I know it's a bit further out of your budget, but a couple of days ago I was at LRO and asked to cast the TFO Finesse 7'6" 3wt. They also suggested I try the St. Croix Avid of the same size. The Avid is a little more money, but I think it comes with a rod tube. I figured I'd like the TFO much better, as I have not really liked the St. Croix rods that I have cast. I was surprised to find out I LOVED the Avid. Your mileage may certainly vary, but I think it would be worth it to at least give them both a cast side-by-side.

Gary 04-19-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

I want to get a 7 or 7"6 3wt rod. I am retired and we are putting 2 kids thru college so price is a factor. The second factor is I want to purchase the rod locally and LRO is about 2 hrs away but I don't know which rods they carry that will fit my budget. I am looking in the $100-$150 range. Any suggestions?
Look for a used Scott G series 6' 11" rod. You can buy them pretty cheap on Ebay. A great rod with a lot of back bone in it.
gary

tnflyman 05-20-2006 11:32 AM

i have a tfo 8' 6" series 1 fefty khern, i've had it since christmas, excellent rod in fact i've got a browning strata mz34 reel and im going to put the same rod on this one... it's 89.95 at lro and bass pro shop and does any one know anything about a browning strata mz34 reel, cant find any info any magazines or anything. is it a good reel, how much is the going price on this reel, i gave30.00 for it and it's brand new.........