Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Winston LT 5-Piece rod (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6364)

Tsani 04-30-2006 06:34 PM

Winston LT 5-Piece rod

I am considering purchasing a new Winston LT 5-Piece rod. I would like to get comments on this rod from peple who have purchased and used it for trout. I currently have a Scott Eclipse 3-piece 5 weight. I'm looking for an action just a little bit faster that the Scott. Thanks in advance for any comment or suggestions.

Byron Begley 05-02-2006 04:04 PM

Re: Winston LT 5-Piece rod

I have three of them. *The 8' 3" 4 wt is my favorite. *I also have a 5 and 6 weight. *They are all I use for trout. I also use the 6 wt for smallmouth bass. *I bought them when they were first built so I've had them for years. But, this is a conflict of interest for me because I sell them. *I hope someone without a bias will post here.

Byron

DrewDelashmit 05-02-2006 07:01 PM

I, like Byron, have a 8'3" 4wt that I love, especially for fishing dries in the park. If you are looking for a faster action rod than the Eclipse, you might also check out the Scott S3. It is faster than both but still a pleasure to cast and fish.

NshTrtBm 05-03-2006 12:33 AM

You really need to stop by LRO and cast one before you buy it. *I don't know if the LT is as fast as your Scott, but the BIIX probably is and I've heard a lot of folks like it.

FYI - I'm not affiliated with LRO, but respect their service and quality!

Brett

Randy Ratliff 05-04-2006 08:13 AM

Byron Begley 05-04-2006 11:38 AM

Tsani, I have an old Scott Eclipse 8 weight. I can't believe they quit making those rods. They have a great action, they are beautiful and almost impossible to break. I had my ROD wrapped around an anchor line with a 20 pound salmon on the other end and it didn't break. If it ever does break I will be a sad man.

I forgot to mention that I use a SA GPX line on my LT's. The GPX is actually 1/2 size larger than the stated line size. In other words, the 5 wt is actually a 5 1/2 wt. This slows down the LT to my liking.

Grumpy 05-06-2006 07:49 AM

I agree with the other's, if you want something faster than the SES, go with the BIIX or S3. In all honesty, i don't think you'll feel that much difference, new rods are fun to get though. ;D
The LT is a sweet casting rod, IMO, it's a tad slower than the SES.
Grumpy

sworp 05-06-2006 09:17 AM

Tsani,
* * The Winston LT was recommended to me by a guide friend who said the 8'3" for 4wt. was his favorite Smokies rod. I bought one and have enjoyed it for years. It has the versitility to fish weighty nymph rigs and really shines with the dry fly. Great action, packability and 4 weight line make this a dandy rod for the mountains. I wouldn't think of fishing the Smokies without it.

- Sworp

Tsani 05-13-2006 09:43 AM

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question. I will be in Townsend this summer and will stop by and take a test drive.

Tsani

Bill M. 05-18-2006 09:21 AM

I have rods that I built on the 8'3" 4 wt and 8'9" 5 wt Winston LT blanks. Both are very good, fishable rods. I fish those 2 rods 90 percent of the time that I am fishing.