Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Clinch River 6-22-06 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6587)

Sivad 06-22-2006 08:49 PM

Clinch River 6-22-06

Good day to all. I have been reading the boards for awile know and decided to join. I went to the clinch today behind the jail and had a good day. Most fish were caught on a BHP. The fish were small but I caught alot. aound 5pm I saw some fish rising so I put on a sulpher and caught a 12" Brown. I fished the sulpher til I quit and caught a couple more fish.

I would like to know why do browns like dry flys better than rainbows?

Thanks for all who post. This message boards Rocks

Patrick

15yroldflyfisher 07-05-2006 11:04 PM

Re: Clinch River 6-22-06

Hey, you wouldn't happen to know of any good topwater dry flies for the clinch river would you?

Sage 07-06-2006 02:58 PM

Why do browns like dry flies better? Because their mouths are wet and the dries help absorb the water.

I'm joking. And not very well, probably.

I have no idea if they like dries or wets more. I've caught more rainbows than browns on the clinch using dries. If you're catching more browns with dries, maybe I need to fish where you are fishing. If I had my wish, 75% of the fish I would catch would be browns. Interesting question. Maybe some other board members will have an opinion on this topic.

15yroldflyfisher 07-06-2006 07:55 PM

Whats some dry flies that you use, sage?

MTN_TRT 07-06-2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

I would like to know why do browns like dry flys better than rainbows?
Maybe the browns would rather expell the energy to snap a dry off the water and bows just intercept nymphs and such. Like if I fish streamers in the winter ;D, 90% of the time i catch browns...sometimes they even chase it a little. OR maybe bows have better eye-sight (or contacts ;) ) and they can tell the difference between naturals and fur&feathers. Oh, and yea I would rather catch browns than rainbows too...little more aggression.

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

Sivad 07-06-2006 10:13 PM

15yroldflyfisher:

The ones I like are ants, Sulphurs, olive and tan elk hair caddis, BWO and the standard parchute adams.

Patrick

15yroldflyfisher 07-06-2006 10:58 PM

sivid, what sizes have you got these flies to work in?

Sage 07-11-2006 03:51 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on the flies. From your previous posts, looks like you're using al the dries I would. Just depends on what's hatching. Never had a go-to dry that produced out there any better than a BWO. I always have more success on the Clinch with BHHE (beadhead hare's ear).

15yroldflyfisher 07-11-2006 04:42 PM

So the BWO and the Beadhead Hares Ear works for you. Also, could you give me the tying recipe for the BWO?

Sage 07-12-2006 11:30 PM

Sorry man, I don't tie. *I run 2 construction companies and I have a small woodworking shop at home, plus 2 acres to mow and maintain. *No time or $ for tying. *LRO makes things much too easy when it comes to flies. *I'm sure you could post that question on the fly tying section of this board and you will get some different versions.