Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   HELP...need a new rod...suggestions please (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6650)

Griff 07-06-2006 11:19 PM

HELP...need a new rod...suggestions please

I the tip of my rod broke tonight on my last fish at the Clinch. *Of corse it was my last fish because I broke my rod. *I am looking at the Orvis Clearwater as a replacement. *Please give me any comments on this rod or any suggetions for other rods that you have used. *I am on a budget so the Zero G is not an option. *Thanks for all replys.

kytroutman 07-07-2006 08:12 AM

Re: HELP...need a new rod...suggestions please

I personally purchased one of the Clearwaters and while it is a nice rod, I am not crazy about the flex. I also purchased a Temple Fork (4 pc) in the same weight and prefer it much better. Cost wise, the TFO rods are excellent rods and are cheaper in price to the Clearwater.

Grumpy 07-07-2006 08:31 AM

I'd head to LRO & cast everything within your budget 8-)

Grumpy

MTN_TRT 07-07-2006 09:27 AM

I am going to second the TFO suggestion. I have two (and hopin to pick up a third by next spring) and I wouldnt cast anything else for the money. Mine have given me no trouble, and they seem to be pretty stong rods. I'd say go with the TFO.

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

Griff 07-07-2006 09:46 AM

Thanks guys, I will check out the TFO rods. *I hope to be able to go to the candy store....er....Little River Outfitters tonight?

kytroutman 07-07-2006 01:51 PM

Griff:

I actually have two of the TFOs (4 wt and 5wt) in addition to a higher end rod (not Orvis). I actually prefer the TFOs for fishing in the Smokies. The flex is manageable and a four piece rod is about $140.

buckeyetrouter 07-08-2006 12:00 PM

my wife has the clearwater and liked it till she used my G-Loomis GL3. It is a 3pc 4wt (I believe I gave $149 for it) and she couldn't believe how much more control she had over the clearwater. I can't bad mouth the Orvis cause I also have a 5/6 Henrys Fork Orvis, but once again it only gets used when I have a friend along who wants to try this incredible sport.

Hope you find something you like.....good fishing!!!!

pmike 07-08-2006 11:49 PM

While you're at LRO, check out the St. Croix rods. IMHO the Avids are very comparable if not perhaps a bit nicer than the TFO's and cost only slightly more than the Finesse (sp?) series of TFO. The Avids also come with a lifetime warrenty and rod tube.

Mike