Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fly Tying (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Dean Campbell's Christmas Bugger (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6666)

15yroldflyfisher 07-10-2006 11:49 AM

Dean Campbell's Christmas Bugger

Would anybody happen to know the tying recipe for the Dean Campbell's Christmas Bugger? Also, the midge emerger and the v-rib midge?

Backcountry FF 07-11-2006 09:48 AM

Re: Dean Campbell's Christmas Bugger

Hey 15yrold,

The Christmas Bugger is tied this way:

TMC 5202 streamer hook Sizes 6-10 (I like size 8)
Red tying thread
Micro size lead barbell eyes
Olive Grizzly Marabou for the tail
LOOSELY dubbed, olive dyed squirrel fur for the body

Tie in the eyes (on top of the hook shank) about 1/4 hook length behind the hook eye, then move to the hook bend and tie in the marabou tail. Wax up your thread and LOOSELY twist on the olive squirrel fur and wrap forward to the lead eyes. This thing needs to be bushy and ugly! Wrap the thread on past the eyes and build a good head up to the hook eye. Whip finish, dab on some cement, and you are done.

This fly will ride hook point up since the eyes are tied on top of the hook shank, so don't be afraid to fish it in some tough places. I like to swing it on the upstream side of the "ledges" that are found on the Clinch and South Holston. You can get some nice fish that hang out under the lip of the ledge, but don't forget to fish the downstream side of the ledge also!

Good Luck!

Backcountry FF 07-11-2006 10:58 AM

Oops, here are the recipes for the midge patterns:

V-rib midge:

Hook: TMC2487 or any scud style hook size 16-20
Head: Gold brass bead head appropriate size for hook
Thread: Should match body color (I prefer olive)
Tail: None
Body: Small size V-rib material (again, I prefer olive)

Slide on bead head, tie in the v-rib material at the head, then wrap the thread over the v-rib half way down the hook bend. Sometimes it is useful to flatten the v-rib with needle nose pliers to make a slimmer body (just the part that will be overwrapped). Once you wrap the thread back to the stopping point, wrap it forward to the bead. Take the v-rib material and TIGHTLY wrap in forward to the bead. Tie it off and whip finish. The smaller the hook size, the tighter you should pull on the v-rib while wrapping it.
I find it tough to go any lower than a size 20 hook.

Midge Emerger:

Hook: Size 20 (smaller if you dare)
Thread: Gray, the thinner the better
Wing Post: I use orange calf tail, but anything you can see and will still hold the hackle wraps
Tail/Shuck: Gray antron, not too much
Rib: Black sewing thread
Body/thorax: Gray superfine dubbing
Hackle: Grizzly or Medium Dun, sized to match hook

Tie in the posting material just like any parachute fly. Move the thread back on the bend, tie in the shuck, then the rib, then dub a THIN body to the post. Wrap the rib forward and tie off at the post. Tie in the hackle on the post and wrap three times around, tie off and finish the head.

When fishing this one, only apply floatant to the head and hackle. That way the shuck and the body will be under the surface film, just like the real thing. I've seen people tie and fish these down to a size 24, but my eyesight will allow neither! Some folks will tie this in olive also.

Hope all this helps.

15yroldflyfisher 07-11-2006 01:07 PM

For the midge emerger, what would be the best hackle color to use?

Backcountry FF 07-11-2006 04:16 PM

15yrold,

I think you can go either with grizzly or medium dun. I have had about the same success with both. Maybe the slight edge goes to grizzly, but if you don't have size 20 grizzly and do have size 20 medium dun, I wouldn't run out and buy the grizzly.

If you opted to tie it as a BWO emerger, I would go with the dun.

Proper presentation and a light tippet matter more in my opinion, especially when you start talking about flies size 20 and smaller.

Best of luck to you.