Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Small Streams in Yellowstone (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6716)

TOPPER 07-20-2006 11:01 PM

Small Streams in Yellowstone

Time for the second annual trip to Yellowstone...Normally I fish the bigger waters (Lamar, Soda Butte, Slough Creek, Yellowstone,...etc) This trip I'm looking to get away from some of the crowds and fish some smaller streams instead of just fishing the larger waters. The crowds typically aren't that bad in the NE section but i'm used to back country fishing here at home and would like to get a taste of it out west. I've yet to catch a grayling and was wondering of some good spots to feed some. We're staying in Cooke City for the week but any ideas in Yellowstone country would be extremely welcome.

Thanks for the help,
topper

troutwhisperer 07-21-2006 10:19 AM

Re: Small Streams in Yellowstone

Last summer I fished in yellowstone for two weeks, and if you want to catch some grayling go to Cascade lake. its a 2.5 mile hike but the fishing is worth it. we saw a mother and baby moose. and caught over 20 cutthroat and grayling in the 14-16 inch range. if you get down deep there are some pigs. i had about a 20 incher on but my 6x couldnt handle him. good luck and happy fishing. its beautiful out there.

Kytroutbum 07-25-2006 12:57 AM

Send me an email if you want to fish OUTSIDE of the park on the Northeast corner. Are you using Cooke City as a base? I am very familiar with some Shonshone Forest Streams along the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Highway, if you want some info. I quit fishing the Park due to crowds.
Randy Sale

flyinby 07-30-2006 12:37 PM

Cascade Lake is the place to go for cutthroat and grayling. We were the only ones there (except for two bison). We caught fish just about on every cast. Incredibly beautiful, and the hike is not too bad. We were there around the first part of July last year and the PMD's were the fly of choice.

I can't wait to go again. Nothing like it!

bamafly 07-30-2006 05:04 PM

when you go to the small streams in the backcountry do you ever run up on a grizzly? or do they ever run up on you?

snaildarter 07-31-2006 09:07 PM

bamafly,

Yes and yes. The Park manages this situation pretty well though. MANY of the small streams are off limits during the cutthroat run, because bears will be all over those creeks.

Some areas have many more bears than others. Good habits involve bringing bear spray, a buddy, and bells. And keep all your stuff, like a backpack, within arm's length of your feet. A ranger got all over us 2 years ago because we left a backpack on the ground about 40 feet away. He explained that the campsite 100 yards from us had been demolished the day before by a grizzly. He was nice enough not to write us a ticket.

I've not yet encountered a grizzly, in about 20 fishing days over the last 10 years in YStone. But I did walk right up on a black bear, who seemed to have known I was there for a while, because he didn't seem alarmed at all. I stopped, and he got off the trail, walked a semi-circle about 15 yards around us, rejoined the trail, and went on his way, without ever even looking directly at us.

lauxier 08-11-2006 12:39 PM

Pacific Creek and Cottonwood Creek are good fishing streams if you go through the Grand Tetons.