Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Elk River (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6736)

Bubba100 07-24-2006 11:04 AM

Elk River

I used to float the Elk River from Tims Ford Dam to a river access road. The float took about 5 hours. The road has been closed. Anyone know of another take out point before Ferris Creek Bridge?

imported_admin 07-24-2006 11:05 AM

Re: Elk River

Moving this to the Tailwaters Forum where it will likely get more answers.

Paula

Elk riverrat 07-24-2006 02:44 PM

The access you speak of is Garners Ford, to many people abusing the right of way to the river, the owner closed it, he was broken into a few times, deck and steps near the river were used for firewood.

The next and only one before (Hurdlow) to us locals, is at General Lowes island. You will have to hand carry your boat around 100 yards or more. To get to it, leave the dam heading east toward Winschester, travel about 1 mile and on your right will be Vernon Ridge Road, turn on it and go about 7/10th of a mile and on your right will be Vanzant Bend Road, turn on it and travel 1 mile, these distances are close but not measured except on my computer map.

Dam to Garners Ford is 2.5 miles, Dam to General Lowes is around 5.5 miles.

Bubba100 07-24-2006 04:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Too bad people don't appreciate others land. Can't blame the land owner...

Luke Warmwater 07-24-2006 09:47 PM

Has anyone floated in a drift boat down the Elk, from the dam access to Ferris Creek?

Grumpy 07-25-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Has anyone floated in a drift boat down the Elk, from the dam access to Ferris Creek?
This is the time of year to do it, you may actually get to Ferris with the sun still out, i wouldn't count on it :-/ a lot of water to fish.

Grumpy

wndeagle 08-29-2006 03:14 PM

to elk riverrat,

is it possible to leave a vehicle on van zant bend road at the general lowe's island take out?

wndeagle 08-29-2006 04:10 PM

i live in scottsboro, al and try to make it to the elk every week or two. *a friend and i floated a canoe from the dam to ferris creek last week, and counting stopping at the riffles and cooking lunch the trip took about 12 hours. *the water rise from the one generator put online at 4 o'clock reached ferris creek at 7 o'clock. *fishing was good early, slowed midday, then picked up again later in the afternoon.

Elk riverrat 08-29-2006 08:06 PM

there is a small pull off and a open spot beside the gate, I plan to get out on the water tomorrow and if I do I will swing by and check it out for you, make sure it's not off limits

wndeagle 08-30-2006 09:57 AM

ok, thanks. good luck with the fishing!