Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Tent camping in GSMNP this weekend (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6739)

bamafly 07-25-2006 12:51 AM

Tent camping in GSMNP this weekend

I am thinking about going tent camping in the GSMNP this weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am probably not going to go backcountry because I will be alone but I thought I would hit one of the campgrounds - Elkmont or Cades. But I can still drive all over the park. Elkmont is a pretty good central location.

Just didnt know which area had the best fishing right now.

Thanks

pmike 07-25-2006 08:48 AM

Re: Tent camping in GSMNP this weekend

I am not in the area, but would tend to think that Elkmont would be the better choice for fishing this time of year. As it gets into summer, the higher elevations are prone to remain cooler than it is at the lower elevations and the trout are more active in the cooler areas.

Mike

Griff 07-25-2006 08:55 AM

I would probably lean towards Elkmont also. *I noticed yesterday that backcountry campsite #28 is closed due to "agressive bear activity", so I wouldn't plan on going there :)

russ 07-25-2006 09:17 AM

Elkmont and Cades Cove are good camping spots. I took my wife camping in Cades Cove once, I kept telling her that bears would probably come into the camposite so we had to keep all food stuff in the truck and out of the tent. That night, i walked her to the bathroom when we saw a big snake that scared her and then in the morning we saw 3 bears just outside the campgrounds. When I told her that those bears probably walked by ouor campsite she freaked out! She hasn't asked to go camping again. ;)

RFowler 07-25-2006 10:02 AM

;D@russ

fivesime 07-25-2006 11:53 AM

We are also considering coming down, tent camping, and doing some fishing this weekend or the following one.

I was looking at the GSMNP website and noticed the Elkmont campground, but also noticed Deepcreek, and Bigcreek campgrounds. Any ideas as to which ones are going to give us the best opportunity for some good fishing, but not be so rustic that the wife won't have anything to do?

Is it too hot for the fishing to be good?

russ 07-25-2006 03:07 PM

Elkmont is pretty close to gatlingburg. *The women can go shopping or whatever they do when they aren't nagging me >:(. *Deep Creek and Big Creek probably wont have much for the women, endless they are fishing.

Justatroutbum 07-25-2006 04:56 PM

While we are on the subject.
The weekend after this we are planning to camp at either site 26 or 28
up on Lynn camp prong .
Momma and Junior like to fish but dont like bears.
Anyone know if there has been much activity up there?

Griff 07-25-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

While we are on the subject.
The weekend after this we are planning to camp at either site 26 or 28
up on Lynn camp prong .
Momma and Junior like to fish but dont like bears.
Anyone know if there has been much activity up there?
Camp site # 28 is currently closed due to agressive bear activity. There is a notice posted at the trailhead to Lynn Camp Prong.

Justatroutbum 07-26-2006 04:44 PM

:)If I had read your earlier post a little more carefully I would have known that already. ;D