Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Brookies? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6787)

troutwhisperer 08-03-2006 11:19 AM

Brookies?

Me and my dad are going to be staying in Mt. Leconte in august and want to catch some brookies. Would you guys suggest roaring fork or alum cave creek? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines,
TW

tennswede 08-04-2006 07:32 AM

Re: Brookies?

Roaring Fork has em' but I would recommend another creek if you pm me.

daileyd 08-04-2006 10:13 PM

We tried the lower stretch of Alum Cave Creek this weekend with no success. The water was very low. I would not go back to the creek until there was some significant rainfall. Has anyone had success on this creek when the water was higher?

I hope things work out for you.

Don

14yearoldflyfisher 08-04-2006 11:04 PM

thanks for the replies. where would you guys recomend going to catch brookies.

WRN 08-05-2006 12:32 PM

MOTOR OVER TO COSBY CREEK, BATHTUB POOLS, TIGHT CONDITIONS BUT YOU CAN HAVE SOME RELAXING FUN. PLEASE GO BARBLESS AND STICK THEM BACK IN FOR ANOTHER DAY.

14yearoldflyfisher 08-05-2006 02:55 PM

Thanks man! Ill definetly do both. ill let you guys know how it goes. appreciate the info.

Tight lines
The kid

tennswede 08-05-2006 07:13 PM

Alum cave is marginal, very acid. devoid of fish if you go upstream. Acid rain plus Anakeesta formations. Try West Prong of Little P, Greenbrier, etc.

Gerry Romer 08-14-2006 10:43 PM

Don't know if you've made your trip yet, but I thought I'd throw in some more. I've had really good luck the last couple weeks working Walker Camp Prong above the Alum Cave trailhead. Lots of water and tons of Brookies. This past Sunday we went over the top and tried Beech Flats Prong. More Brookies! This is the headwaters of the Oconaluftee River and at 4,500 ft. elevation it's little more than a creek that's not very accessible. But you can get to it with a little bit of work and trailblazing. At 10 am Sunday morning it was overcast, 65 degrees, and the water temp was 59.2 degrees! Perfect for some feisty, colorful Brookies.

Good luck!

Gerry Romer

tennswede 08-14-2006 10:51 PM

Gerry!

I caught some good sized brookies back in 98 at the mouth of Kanati Fork on Beech Flats, seemed like they liked the water coming out of the creek at the mouth, temp was a couple of degrees lower than on the main stream. This was labor day in 98 and it was extremely hot. I wish I had a camera back then.

lauxier 08-16-2006 02:44 PM

roaring fork has brook trout--but it is tight,tedious fishing--you may have success,the fish will hit drys or wets,they don't seem to be too picky,but as I said,it is claustrophobic fishing at best.If you don't like elevators I would try elsewhere.