Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Ran the gauntlet... (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6804)

Waterborn 08-05-2006 11:38 PM

Ran the gauntlet...

Decided to hit Abrams today, knowing that traffic would be a tough go...even though I managed to get there before they opened to car travel, it took me an hour to get to the trail head. Fishing was decent though not as "on fire" as last report. There were plenty of 6-8" bows with a few horny heads mixed in. The water was looowww and you could see the larger fish holding in the "deeper" pools that were slow and gin clear - they spooked too easy like in the spring section. The green weenie with a SMBBSH dropper picked up fish in the riffles. Water temps were around 66/67 and felt great wet wading...

Hugh Hartsell 08-06-2006 07:16 AM

Re: Ran the gauntlet...

:) Good report Jeremy, I've been wondering how the water temps were doing on Abrams Creek because I haven't fished it in a few weeks. It sounds a little better than I thought it might be. Thanks for sharing the trip with us. I don't mean to try to steal your thread, but just rather add a little to it about the water in the Park right now. I had to run over to LROs on Friday and I decided to fish for a little while in the East Prong of Little River. I have been wondering how the water temp was affecting the fish in the area between Elkmont and Metcalf Bottoms. In the area that I fished, it felt to the hand, like it was about 64-65 degrees. I also fished with a nymph and a SMBBSH. I only fished a stretch about 200yards long and I managed to catch about a dozen fish even in the middle of the day. Like you mentioned in your thread, most were caught in riffle water, right where you would expect them to be at this time of the year. Quick fast releases were the order of the day. The area seemed to have gotten some good rain yesterday evening. Let's hope we get some more throughout the Valley real soon.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

tennswede 08-06-2006 05:49 PM

Hugh!

I was wondering the same thing, I was fishing yesterday on West Prong Little P and we hit water from 63 to 66 degrees. That is about 2 to 3 degrees more than it usually is at the spots I fished. I guess this low water and heat wave is taking it's toll. BTW, I'm glad to see you showing up on this board again. I was wondering where you are nowadays. I always value your insight and I still hope to run in to you on one of these creeks. I guess it won't be likely since you seem to fish different locales than I.

Hugh Hartsell 08-06-2006 06:18 PM

:) Good evening Hans, good to hear about your trips also. Since we're all adding a little to Waterborn's trip and about conditions around and about in the Smokies, I'll just add what I saw on the way home since it may be of interest to someone wanting to fish this area. I drove thru the Cosby area as I went home that day and to my surprise, Cosby Creek was running kind of full and slightly dingy. That section should be fishing better since they seemed to have had rain recently. Good luck guys!
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Waterborn 08-06-2006 09:21 PM

No worries Hugh - always great to have everyones input about the conditions in the Park - after all sharing info there is what this board is all about...good to see that there are some people hitting the water despite the heat, fish have to eat regardless, but the greatest point made is the quick release...