Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Sipsey River Scare (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6828)

bamafisherlady 08-10-2006 12:16 AM

Sipsey River Scare

Had a real close call Mon. on the river. They were suppose to release at 2:00 PM, so my girls and I decided to go down in the morning one more time before school started. We wantedto go past the rocks and pool up near the bend in the river - great place to fish, by the way, and took the trail down to the river and proceeded just up a little ways toward the powerhouse.

My girls were just powerbait fishing and I wanted to flyfish, so I found a shallow area and crossed the river. After maybe an hour of fishing, the horn sounded around 9:30 AM. I told the girls to get their stuff and HURRY and head up,(thinking we needed to move fast but not in a panic). Meanwhile I still had to find my spot and cross the river. By the time I got a spot and halfway across the river, I slipped and fell in a little deeper part, thus filling up my waders a bit, which made it harder to manuver. Before I could hear the water coming, now when I looked up, it wasn't just coming, it was almost upon me.

To make a long story short, I got carried a bit but managed to get out, my girls barely got out before the water reached them - some just found a place and started climbing, which is what I did when I finally got out of the water. It was kind of scary-- No, it was just plain scary.

In years past, I seem to remember there being a time period between siren and rushing water but there was none this time.I understand being closer to the dam mean water sooner, etc. but had I thought thay the water would come that quickly I never would have been there and neither would my girls. Anyway, it was a grand reunion when we all met in the road at the top of the hill.

So BEWARE people. I talked to some people at ALPOWER about the situation with not much help, just the usual run around. (It's controlled in B'ham, it's a tentative schedule, blah, blah, blah). If you know of someone I can speak to at ALPOWER, please let me know. Five minutes advance would be better than none. Maybe we all need to make our voices heard on this especially if you've been caught in the same situation. In the meantime, I will make sure and wear my belt (that was my own fault), and I will concentrate on fishing down river instead of closer to the dam no matter how much better the fishing is upriver. It'll be awhile before I get to go again and that may be a good thing.

Oh yeah, and they only ran the water for 30 minutes or so.

justfishing 08-10-2006 10:57 AM

Re: Sipsey River Scare

BF,

I definitely know the feeling. It's one of the main reasons I don't (and probably many others don't) fish this river more often. If you find anyone that knows how we can effect this problem, let me know. I'll definitely contribute. You would think with the pull Alabama fishermen and their license power could have some effect. Too bad we don't have a stronger TU presence.

justfishing
<'))))><

J.Hightower 08-10-2006 09:15 PM

The Smith Lake Enviromental Preservation Committee is hosting a meeting with Alabama Power Aug. 26 ..9 A.M. at Brushy Pond restaurant on County road 222....For more info. contact Debbie Berry at (205) 823-0015 or (205) 915-8830....This is the best imformation I could come up with...other than talking with Brandon at Riverside fly shop...he has had meetings with someone at Alabama Power. I too have been on the other side of the creek when the warning went off...It seems like you have about 2 min. to cross back...But I am not sure I was in a hurry. J.Hightower

bamafisherlady 08-10-2006 11:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be in touch with her and Brandon to see what can be done and with whom to touch base. It would be great if we heard from TU members on this, if there are even that many around here. TU can usually wield some serious weight around.

DALEFISH 08-14-2006 04:46 PM

i too have been stuck up close to the dam.i like fishing that area too and one sunday morn. i was thru fishing and decided to explore wading possibilities on the "other side".they wasn`t supposed to run water at all that day and the horn went off and i had to cross right where the small inlet is right below the dam.its a little too deep in one spot and it`s kinda funny how well a person can swim in waders and a fly rod.they ran water for about 5 min. that time.crazy enough,i still fish that area.
dalefish

Maurer 08-16-2006 12:46 PM

Not sure how good the complaining will do, but it is worth a shot. I grew up fishing in Arkansas and they have no schedule at all. The best thing is practicing safe wading. Always wear at least one wading belt firmly tightened. Another good idea is having a spare wading belt with you. If you know you'll be wading in some tricky stuff put the second wading belt at the top of your waders around your chest. A wading staff is another good idea.

bamafisherlady 08-18-2006 05:56 AM

Yeah, well, it really is my own fault about the wading belt. One of the girls even asked me if I was going to put it on. I told her since I was only going to be in SHALLOW water there wasn't a need. She reminded me of that too, when I got out! Good advice- practice safe wading, which I will be sure and do in the future!

Dalefish, yes, it is very hard to run in wet waders. I also found out that it's hard to climb up hills with water in waders, thick underbrush, and a 9 ft flyrod. I was praying the whole time up I didn't complicate my already scary day with a snake, which very thankfully, didn't happen. At least not on this trip -but that's a whole other story!

justfishing 09-14-2006 03:28 PM

Hey bama,

Been to the Sipsey lately? It was so nice this morning I had to rig up. I think I'll head up there tomorrow and wondered if anyone knew what they were hitting lately.

Thanks,

justfishing
<'))))><

DALEFISH 09-18-2006 04:25 PM

this reply is a little late,but here it is anyway.i fished saturday morn til a little after noon and caught 2 .fish were really short striking anything stripped.i was using 7x trying to get used to it and broke off 3 fish on the hookset,dont seem like there would be much difference between 6x and 7x,guess there is.its been a while since they stocked and the holdovers are scarce,spooky and in totally different places than normal.did get a couple of hits on a midge/emerger on top.did see a red bat,thats a first.
dalefish

kylemc 09-21-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

dont seem like there would be much difference between 6x and 7x,guess there is.
dalefish
;D ;D ;)