Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   hazel creek (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6849)

lauxier 08-13-2006 12:15 PM

hazel creek

Many years ago,in the early 80's,I fished Hazel Creek.Got to it by crossing Fontana.My sister fished it last year ,I think,she hiked to it from a trail starting at Clingman's Dome???Has anyone fished Hazel lately?How is it holding up,what with increased hikers,fisherman,and litterers.I thought the fish in Hazel tended to be a bit larger than those on the other side of the park and nymphs seemed to work best.
The actor James Stewart loved the Fontana area,so much that he wrote a poem about it,which he read on the Tonight show several years ago--
Lake Fontana is an emerald Lake deep in the Smokies
It's surface is smooth as glass
But getting to Lake Fontana is a royal pain-in-the-***
--That goes for Hazel Creek too--

Justatroutbum 08-14-2006 04:54 PM

Re: hazel creek

We fished Hazel this past April.
And are planning a 10 day trip in November.
Had a great trip,caught some nice fish and saw very little litter.

I guess it depends on the time of year but we met only a very few people on the trail,and those we met were horsemen and thru hikers.
There were some fishermen at Proctor but once you get in a mile or so you are pretty much alone.
Also there is a poster at the marina of a guy with a 25 inch brown(if memory serves) he caught somewhere on Hazel Creek .

The ferry fees are very high but worth every penny as far as I am concerned.
Small price to pay to get away from the discarded flip flops and beer cans that I picked up all last weekend while trying to fish.

hw3 08-21-2006 12:23 PM

Have not been in there for a few years, think last trip was '03. What is the state of the large bridge? In '03 it was twisted and hard to cross with a cart, thought we might break the uphill axel as all the weight was there. Party boat trip is only way to go if you have much gear. Usually head for Bone, and try to fish upstream from there. Late SEP or early OCT is usual. Take a lot of 14 & 16 stimmies in yellow and orange, the bushes eat flies. A truly magical place. Watson

JP 08-21-2006 08:53 PM

The bridges have been replaced. Also, it's like $50 bucks per person to take the ferry across. Call it progress at Fontana Boat Dock.

Justatroutbum 08-24-2006 10:26 PM

The bridges are very nice
The twisted one was replaced and left unpainted so it would rust, so as not to look out of place.
The trails are for the most part fairly easy on the carts.

hw3 08-29-2006 10:14 PM

Thanks for the info on the trails and bridges. Do not know if I will get in there this year. Have a reunion of class of '69 LTS from the 509th Parachute Infantry set for weekend my usual gang is heading to Bone, and unless there is a reschedule, I'll miss the trip. I too like early OCT, usually try to go in on WED and come out SUN. On balance, not a better time of the year for weather, bugs, and the trout seem to like to eat everything I try to feed them. Anyone heading that way, have a great trip. Watson