Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   woooohhoooo!!!! Clinch comes thru (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6891)

minnowsoon2btrout 08-20-2006 01:44 PM

woooohhoooo!!!! Clinch comes thru

well, it's about time, I was beginning to think that I was jinxed on fly fishing. Not anymore. ;D I went to the Clinch River, near the Hwy 61 bridge about 6:30 am and within 20 minutes had the first of 5 fish on. I caught 2-9 inch rainbows 2-5 inch rainbows and 1-12 incher. I cannot tell you the name of the fly because it was given to me by a fellow I was talking with the first time I tried to fish the Clinch. There is a description in the post called "Clinch River Story", the guy told me that he had pretty good luck with it. I just had to share this cause it was a relief to finally not just spend alot of time casting.
That fly was pretty beat up, and after I swapped it, I had no more bites. Got to find that fly! :D

tennswede 08-20-2006 07:44 PM

Re: woooohhoooo!!!! Clinch comes thru

Persistence pays off. I'm glad you had a good day. I know how fickle it can be and especially on Clinch, but on the right day and time it fishes good.

appalachian angler 08-20-2006 08:18 PM

Congrats to breaking off the skunk! The clinch skunked me a few times early on until some one else gave me a few tips. I don't wear 'em out each trip, but I don't get skunked anymore either. Feels pretty good don't it!!! ;D

AA

minnowsoon2btrout 08-21-2006 06:02 AM

the fly is called a beadhead prince nymph ;D

tennswede 08-21-2006 07:21 PM

Good old Prince. In fact I have caught more fish on a prince bh than any other bh nymphs both when fishing the mountains and tailwater. There's just something about the white wing on it.

ttas67 09-08-2006 02:20 AM

try a small black caddis if you want to fish a dry fly. I went up there last weekend after not fishing there for a year. caught one on a nymph then just started trying random small dry flies for the fun of it and hit the jackpot with the caddis.

Scott 09-27-2006 07:12 AM

For that section behind the jail, try a brown back, tan abdomen caddis pupa pattern tied on a size-16 scud hook. My best pattern for that area is one I tie using micro-size stretch tubing over the abdomen. Dark brown goose biot tips for the wing pads, 2 wood duck fibers for antenna, and 6 to 8 well marked, brown partridge fibers tied underneath for legs. Finish the head with a wisp of brown rabbit dubbing.

Use a 10 foot leader tapered down to 4X, then add 4 feet of 6X using your favorite tippet knot. I prefer an Orvis knot.

Position yourself upstream of a flow and cast all the way across and downstream. You want the leader to turn over, but the tippet falls in a pile, or a series of S curves. Follow the flyline downstream with the rod tip at your face level. It will be a large curve.

The fly is slowly sinking in the eddy, or quiet water beyond the flow. Once the flyline, then the leader straightens out, the fly will start to move. It will also start to rise. The trout usually respond vigorously since they think the fly is escaping.

Usually, the hit is like a smutting rise producing a dimple at the water's surface. The dimple is a small bulge caused by the porpoising of the trout as it takes the fly just under the surface. Most of the hits feel soft because you have a bit of slack in the line. When you feel the hit, or see the dimple, simply raise your rod tip gently.

Most of the time, the trout will hook themselves in the corner of the mouth. That happens because of the water pressure on the flyline and leader.

I've seen tan caddis on the river mostly in Oct and Nov. By Nov, they are often females ovipositing. At that time, a soft-hackled wet fly is effective. One tied with a tan hare's mask body and fine gold wire.

The caddis pupa works well, especially in the downstream areas, because the trout recognize it and respond well. I often do better with it than a midge pattern. I catch more fish and some tend to be larger... in the 17 to 18 inch range.

Good luck and happy fishing.