Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   equipment (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7036)

moflyangler 09-12-2006 10:36 AM

equipment

hello all,
i have an equipment question for anyone listening. i'm making my first trip there in October and i want to make sure that i'm using the right stuff. what is normal size of leader/tippet that is typically used there? here in Missouri i generally use 6x or 7x and can occasionally get away with 5x. i typically use tapered leaders with a loop on them for quick changes and carry tippet with me to extend the life of my leaders. should i be using something thinner since the fish seem to be smaller?
thanks in advance

tight lines :)

Griff 09-12-2006 10:41 AM

Re: equipment

I typically use 6X when I'm fishing in the park. You probably could get away with 5X if the water is a little off color. You shouldn't need 7X unless the water is very low. In my opinion, 6X is the way to go.

moflyangler 09-12-2006 10:59 AM

Thanks for the info Griff, i appreciate it. I have figured out some flies to use from this board but i'm curious about a certain pattern. My wife likes to use glo balls er.. pre emergent juviniles (egg patterns), do those work down there? How about mini jigs or streamers like wooly buggers?

Troutman 09-12-2006 11:02 AM

moflyangler, Oct. is a great time to visit and fish here in the Smokies. I tie my own leaders but a good quality knotless leader from 7.5 to 9 ft tapered to 4X is standard. I also carry 4,5 and 6X tippet to use depending on water levels and sizes of flies used. Stealth and presentation are usually more important than tippet size here. Good luck.

scflyfisher 09-12-2006 11:30 AM

I agree with Troutman. I have caught fish in the park on everything from 3x-6x. I have never used 7x there b/c I usually fish a 5wt rod and it's too difficult for me to not break 7x on a 5wt when I set the hook. I would say that the majority of my fishing in the park is 5x whether nymphing or dry. I always make sure my 5x tippet is flouro when nymphing. I have experimented a lot this past year on the Davidson in N.C., and I feel like 5x flouro catches fish as good as 6x mono does. I like to use as heavy as I can get away with in the park, b/c you never know when that 25" brown that just got posted on here might take your fly. I wouldn't want that fish on my 5wt with 7x. Well, I take that back, I wouldn't mind that fish on my 5wt with 7x, I would just feel a little better if I have my usual 5x on.

SC

Sage 09-12-2006 12:37 PM

mo,

The only reason you will need 6-7x would be low and clear h2o, You shouldn't have that problem when you arrive, but check the board now and then b4 your trip for stream conditions. Leader thickness has been more crutial when throwing dries for me than when nymphing. I think people place too much emphasis on all this. Proper presentation is the key in the Park. I know people who fish with 4x and catch fish all the time.

As far as what bugs to throw, a trip into LRO is much advised. The staff are all very helpful and you will definitely catch more fish using what they have. Some of the locals tie their version of some popular patterns, those are what I try to buy. Once again, presentation is the key. Don't overfish a hole. There is a lot of water to cover here. Don't waste time going for the 'perfect' cast over an area where you've fished for the last 15 minutes. Move on and save that cast for fresh water.

Good luck and leave some for the rest of us.

PS An 8' rod is a good length. Not too tall, but still long enough for some highsticking.

moflyangler 09-12-2006 01:25 PM

Well it sounds like i'm on the right track anyway. i can usually adapt to most situations with a little advice. i would consider myself an advanced beginner with fly fishing so i'm really looking forward to throwing some dries. i've only done that once and did catch a bow. time to go into the back yard and fine tune the casting and then head to the tying bench. my wife however doesn't even own a dry fly so it will be very different for her. she will probably stick with what she knows and knowing her she will still catch fish. i created a monster when i took her fly fishing for the first time a couple of years ago. we have been married for two years this past August and have spent both anniversary's fly fishing. in fact when i asked her what she wanted to do for our honeymoon she said "i want to go fly fishing". how lucky can one guy be. we both caught our first fish on flies that we tied this last trip. i think she is looking forward to fishing there is much as i am.

tight lines 8-)

14yearoldflyfisher 09-13-2006 08:11 AM

have fun man. the smokies is a beautiful place and you will have a blast fishing. hope you catch the heck out of em. ill be there in october too, we might cross each other on the trail. tight lines.

moflyangler 09-13-2006 11:35 AM

you will find us at LRO fairly early on 10/15. gotta gear up and stock the fly box. if you see a couple asking a bizillion questions and buying all the fly's, that will be us. we should keep them in business for at least another month buy the time we get out of there.

hope to meet some of you fine folks while we are there.

tight lines

buckeyetrouter 09-13-2006 04:45 PM

hey mofly......we are coming in on the 16th of oct thru the 22....will be staying in townsend area and fishing / photographing the park all week.....

you said "we" will be in......are you a husband wife team or a couple of guys on a fishing trip.....just curious as my fiance and I fish the park and thought it would be nice to have dinner company a night while we are in town.......

good fishing and
God Bless
buckeyetrouter