Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Next Weekend (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7088)

jlmarkland 09-22-2006 08:27 AM

Next Weekend

My 13-year-old and I will be leaving Indiana about 4am Thursday the 28th. This is our father/son getaway for his 13th birthday (his choice of destination). We have fly fished for bluegill and other species in southern Indiana, but this our first attempt at wild trout. I have been reading the posts and we have been tying green weanies, October caddis and the usual fair in preparation. Thanks to this board and Ian Rutter's book, I have a good idea of the areas we want to try and have our map marked and ready.

We will be hitting LRO early Thursday afternoon for licenses and whatever else we decide we "need." After checking into Doc's, we will most likely head to Tremont and/or Lynn Camp Prong. I am very familiar with the park, but as I mentioned, this is our first GSM fishing outing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have been planning this trip for months and my objective is to give Jacob lifetime memories. Thanks for the message board LRO - and thanks for the education to you veterans. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve!

Jim Markland

flyinby 09-24-2006 08:06 PM

Re: Next Weekend

Jim:

Congrats on the upcoming trip! We, too, will be camping this coming weekend for a couple of days of harassing the trout. I'm certainly no expert, but I can tell you where I've had luck, and where we're headed. Also, I haven't fished the park since August, so consider that.

I've heard that the Little River is fishing good from Elkmont to Metcalf Bottom. We're also going to fish Greenbriar - lots of river and you may catch some with some size toward the lower end.

Walkers Camp Prong at the Alum Cave Trailhead is good for some wild, small brookies.

Keep asking...the natives will tell you where to go.

buckeyetrouter 09-25-2006 07:32 AM

hey Jim..... I was reading a post on a Cincinnatti board about some nice browns in the Indiana area...maybe the southeast??? do you know of any such river or stream?????? *I can't remember the name of the river and cannot find the Cin. board again to research......

thanks,
buckeyetrouter

russ 09-25-2006 02:05 PM

What a neat trip for a b-day present! Good going, Dad. ;D

Make sure that you and your son keep hidden. I think one of the best ways to not catch any trout is to go stomping through the streams and spook all of the fish before you get to cast. Stay LOW, wear colors that blend into the surroundings, ie. browns, greens, dark colors, and remember that an 8" wild Smokey Mountian trout is a big fish! Also, hike at a minimum of 30 minutes before you start fishing. The longer you hike the better the fishing will be. ;)

czartman 09-25-2006 06:04 PM

hey Jim..... I was reading a post on a Cincinnatti board about some nice browns in the Indiana area...maybe the southeast??? do you know of any such river or stream?????? *I can't remember the name of the river and cannot find the Cin. board again to research......

I would guess that you are referring to the tailwaters below Brookville dam. *Don't know anything about the fishing there, but have heard that they have done some stocking the last couple of springs.

jlmarkland 09-26-2006 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info Russ - as I understand stealth is the name of the game. *We have our earthtone clothes packed and ready!

Thanks for the tips flyinby. *Jacob and I are planning on fishing some of the same territory, maybe we will run into you this weekend, if not on the stream, maybe at LRO. *We thought about camping, but we opted for a room at Doc's Motel instead. *Have a great weekend!

Hey buckeyetrouter - I agree with caz. *The post was most likely refering to the Brookville tailwaters. *DNR stocks the area above the tailwaters and I have heard some "fish stories" about some hearty leftovers that have become acclimated to the tailwaters. *I hav not fished it myself. *Brookville is located near the Ohio/Indiana border about half way up the state line.

Take care and thanks for your advice!

Jim

buckeyetrouter 09-26-2006 09:50 PM

hey Jim.....took your info and found a site that talks more of the bows and browns that are in the river....only 2 hrs from me so I may have to give it a try some weekend.... if you are interested in reading, the site is

http://mvff.tripod.com/Brookville.htm

thanks for the info.....

buckeyetrouter

FRW 09-30-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

thanks,
buckeyetrouter
Probably Brookville Res. It is not far from Cincy in SE Indiana. It is tailwater fishery.

moflyangler 10-03-2006 01:53 PM

Hey Jim, i just read Ian Rutter's fishing report that was posted yesterday and it sounds like you and you son had some pretty good success. Man i wish my dad would have done that for me when i was 13. Way to go!
My wife and i will be down there on the 14th and we have booked Ian as our guide on the 15th. I hope we have as much success as you and your son did. This is our first trip to the GSMNP and i can wait to wet a line and bend a rod.

tight lines 8-)