Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Nantahala in October (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7093)

sworp 09-23-2006 10:16 PM

Nantahala in October

I'll be heading to the Nantahala River in about 3 weeks for a couple of days of fishing. I am looking for any advice on the fishing this time of year and any recommended flies. I fished there back in the early spring and had a great time (thanks to the advice of Randy_Ratliff and others from the message board).
Any advice will be appreciated.
- I also highly recommend the Nantahala Outdoor Center as a base of operations for anyone planning an overnight to the area.

Thanks-
Bill Allman

troutwag 09-26-2006 12:59 AM

Re: Nantahala in October

Bill,
You will be about 30 minutes from Snowbird in Robbinsville, you might want to check it out one day. Are you planning on fishing the DH section of the Nan or the big river?

sworp 09-26-2006 03:20 AM

troutwag-
I'll be on the DH. I've never fished the big river.

justfishing 09-26-2006 10:56 AM

I'm special *::) DH ?
If you had said DA section I would get it. *:)

justfishing
<'))))><

justfishing 09-26-2006 12:49 PM

Delayed Harvest???

Quote:

troutwag-
I'll be on the DH. I've never fished the big river.
Told you I was "gifted"

justfishing
<'))))><

Leinart 09-26-2006 01:39 PM

also: the last weekend of October is GAF (guest appreciation festival) at Nantahala Outdoor Center--tends to be really crowded over there!

sworp 09-26-2006 03:39 PM

Leinart-
Thanks for the heads up on the crowds. I'm going to try to be out early and back to the inn late.

justfishing-
Sorry for any confusion. I might be a little slow on the uptake- what do you mean by "DA"?

justfishing 09-26-2006 11:33 PM

I guess I thought the DA would be the section that any old DA can catch a fish. :o

I don't know, it just took me a while to figure the DH thing out. :P

justfishing
<'))))><

justfishing 09-26-2006 11:35 PM

Hey- by the way,

Can somebody explain DH in layman terms? I've never been a real harvester of any kind.

Thanks

justfishing
<'))))><

Jswitow 09-29-2006 02:26 PM

Delayed Harvest means they stock the fool out of the creek in October and it is Catch and Release until the 1st of Jue. Usually they put some pigs in the creek as well so you might stick one (sometimes even 3-4lb brookies). I think I fished it about this time last year and fished two nymphs a big stone to weight it and a smaller one dropped off the back, pheasant tail , prince or something with a bead. Maybe some midges, there usually is a midge hatch on the middle section of the DH and the fish eating the midges won't eat anything else. (in my experience)
The big river can be fun as well, find the the slow water and fish it deep; big indicator, big stone and smaller fly, maybe a soft hackle.
5x on the top fly either place and 6X on the midge. The DH gets hammered so much that they can get pretty picky.

Good luck