Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Metcalf Bottoms, Sat. 23 Sep (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7099)

czkid 09-25-2006 05:01 PM

Metcalf Bottoms, Sat. 23 Sep

We got up to Townsend on Friday PM and by Sat PM the rain had let up enough to venture forth. I hit Metcalf Bottoms at about 2PM and had the whole place all to myself. Not a single soul in the river, and one lone family fixing dinner in the picnic area.

I proceeded to fish the stream from well below the bridge up almost to the 2nd bridge and other than a few "short" hits at a no.14 Stimulator there was no action. No one came after the "green weenie" that everyone said was the "go to" fly for the previous week, and no one smashed the dry fly.

On reflecting I suspect I should have gone down a few sizes on the dry given no one was playing with the "green weenie", since the only activity seemed to be on top. But given that I didn't see bug one flying about I was a bit disheartened in that direction as well. I quit at dark with nothing to show for my efforts except a beatiful afternoon on the Little River, and total solitude.

Strange afternoon. :-/

Ralph

troutwag 09-26-2006 12:13 AM

Re: Metcalf Bottoms, Sat. 23 Sep

I was on the other side of the mountains Saturday and the water was high and a little off color. Little River probably was not off color but the fish (I bet) were hunkered down waiting for the raging torrent. I usually go for the bottom when it is like that or throw streamers for big fish chasing little out of sorts fish.............. Probably would have been skunked out there saturday as well! Like you said though; a nice day of rare solitude on Little River at Metcalfe Bottoms.
Tight lines,

twnurse2k 09-26-2006 08:32 AM

I must admit that I am not much on fishing in the rain, but on Saturday I went to West prong and caught my first GSMNP trout. I have lived and fished here my whole life and grew up with the notion that fishing in the park was taboo, too hard, and the fish too small. Now I know better! The time slipped away and I hardly noticed the 2 or 3 rain showers. I caught 5 rainbows the biggest being 8 inches. They all hit the greenie weenie on a dropper under a parachute adams. Kept one and cooked him over a camp fire that night. What a great day!

By the way, that's very true about flash floods. Fishing in the tailwaters has taught me to keep an eye on my surroundings (trees, rocks,shoreline) for changes in water level.

Be safe.
Tony

Griff 09-26-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

I must admit that I am not much on fishing in the rain, but on Saturday I went to West prong and caught my first GSMNP trout.
Congrats on your first GSMNP trout!

buckeyetrouter 09-26-2006 10:00 PM

hey Tony.....congrats on your first park trout :)

I suspect that will not be the last one..... as I have found the park to be addicting both for it's beauty and the serenity of fly fishing the many streams....

buckeyetrouter