Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Fishing Tomorrow (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7108)

sedatedgenius 09-28-2006 07:29 PM

Fishing Tomorrow

hey guys! this is my first post but definently not the first time i have ever been to the LR shop, its a great, GREAT little shop with friendly advice and friendly smiles!

anyway, i was planning on doing some fishing up near townsend friday but im not sure now that its rained a good inch or two.

what do you think the conditions for fishing will be tomorrow?

should i go?

i should have gone yesterday, but incuding time constraints it just wasnt possible. now im affraid that the river is going to have some color to it and the fish will be sleeping!

let me know what you think... cause im DIEING to catch some trout!

scflyfisher 09-28-2006 08:03 PM

Re: Fishing Tomorrow

I would say if the water is a little off color that is even more reason to go. I love fishing things like green weenies and helgramites down deep when the water is stained. It can't be said enough on the board, high off-colored water = big fish. Now I don't mean go do this if the river is like chocolate milk and raging, that is just dangerous. Just my opinion, but some of my best fishing has been when the river looks like good southern sweet tea.

SC

sedatedgenius 09-28-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

I would say if the water is a little off color that is even more reason to go. I love fishing things like green weenies and helgramites down deep when the water is stained. It can't be said enough on the board, high off-colored water = big fish. Now I don't mean go do this if the river is like chocolate milk and raging, that is just dangerous. Just my opinion, but some of my best fishing has been when the river looks like good southern sweet tea.

SC

yeah, ive heard the same thing, i think im kind of curious to go, but ive never really tried nymph fishing. it kinda scares me. any tips?

that's why i like going when the water is calm, because i can see the dry fly realy well and know when a fish lands on the fly.

im just kinda curious, do you think the water would be too high tomorrow? we only got about 1/3 of an inch here in the valley, im not sure what they got up in the mountains, but im sure by tomorrow it should be down to normal again...

scflyfisher 09-29-2006 09:04 AM

I was in LRO during Labor Day weekend. It had just rained and the river was up some on friday. I was talking to Daniel at LRO and if my memory serves me correctly, he said that once the flow reaches about 2.5 ft is when you should start to be careful with wading. I could be wrong as this has been a month since he told me, but for some reason I think that is what he told me. You can either just stop in at the store if you going fishing and ask them how the flow is, or look at the fishing report each morning after byron has updated it and see what the flow is like before you go. Please don't interpret this as meaning you cannot fish at all if the flow is over 2.5 ft. There are plenty of places you can find along the road where you can cast big nymphs w/out getting in the water. This is just my opinion, hopefully some of the people on here that know a lot more than me will chime in.

SC