Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   The Tuckaseegee in NC (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7121)

mstone 10-03-2006 09:05 PM

The Tuckaseegee in NC

Has anyone been over to the 'Tuck' this week? I believe they have started stocking the DH section.

justfishing 10-03-2006 11:53 PM

Re: The Tuckaseegee in NC

Hey Mstone,

Can you tell me a little bit about this river?
I was fishing today and a fellow mentioned he had fished this river in April and did extremely well.
I did a word search on this board and this is the first time it has been mentioned.

Thanks

justfishing
<'))))><

mstone 10-04-2006 08:39 PM

Hey Justfishing,
The Tuckaseegee is a tailwater in western NC. I have only been on the river a couple of times but I can tell a few things about it. They should have started stocking the delayed harvest section this week. That section won't be open to harvest until the first weekend in June. From what I'm told, its the best trophy trout water in the state. One of the times I was on it , I had my two boys with me and we had been fishing the Nantahala and decided to drive over. I did not check the generation schedule and the river was full. One of the kids caught a decent trout on a spinner. Not knowing the river, I decided they did not need to be very far from the bank and we did not get to fish much. Another time, one of my fishing buddies and I drove over from Highlands and fished around on the upper end, on smaller water. We caught a few fish but knew we were not onthe trophy water and did not realize how far from it we were. This website will show roughly the layout, and the water arrival times at certain points along the river. nantahalapower.com/lakes/flow
I have much to learn myself over there. Am going to try and go in the next few weeks.

Tightlines,
M.Livingstone

justfishing 10-05-2006 10:37 AM

Mstone,

Did a little research. The DH section of the "Tuckaseigee" river is from the Dillsboro Dam at 441 to the 116 bridge near Webster. Looks like there is a road that runs along the river this entire 3.5 miles. It says they stock week one of October, November, March, April, and May. If you go over give us a report.

justfishing
<'))))><

Jswitow 10-05-2006 02:22 PM

Mstone,
Some second hand information. I know an outfitter who guides on the Tuck and likes it through the winter alot. The thing I have seen over there, (never fished though) is that it gets blown out when it rains. Seems to be muddy alot. If you go please report back.
Best,

justfishing 10-06-2006 09:28 AM

Mstone,

We're going to check it and the Nantahala out Sunday on our way home from the park. I'll let you know what we find.

justfishing
<'))))><

mstone 10-06-2006 09:30 PM

Ditto on the rains blowin it out. I've watched the precip over the last few years in western NC and it can get quite unfishable. One of the guides I spoke with last year said the area received around thirty (30) inches, of rain last July, I believe. Some due to leftover storms from the gulf.

M.Livingstone

justfishing 10-09-2006 03:43 PM

Fished on Sunday for about 2 hours with my son and we both caught grand slams. ;D

There were about 4 or 5 others fishing near us, but it looked like a good river for several miles. Access was very easy.

The fish were taking nymphs in the deep fast runs.

justfishing
<'))))><

mstone 10-09-2006 09:09 PM

Thanks for the report justfishing. I've got an itch to go to the Tuck this weekend but I'm not sure if I've got time. I found some reasonable accomodations in Wesser, close enough to fish the Nantahala if the Tuck is generating too much.

mstone