Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Trip Report 10/01 to 10/05 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7141)

KimB 10-08-2006 01:46 PM

Trip Report 10/01 to 10/05

Back to CA. after *a great five days fishing Ramsey Prong, Tremont, Elkmont, and Roaring Fork(somewhat). What great fall weather! Ramsey was consistently good with bows to brookies running about 50:50. Elk Hair caddis in the morning and green weenies/barbie bugs the rest of the day. Go way up! The quality of the fish (size) definately better the higher you go. I will take the Barbie Bug after I watched trout consistently hit my pink strike indicator and not hit the weenie. Adding extra split shots and "bumping the bottom" of the bigger pools produced some bigger trout ( not pretty but effective). *The unobvious side pockets that I overlooked the first day I rehit and were very productive for brookies. *Watch out for the bear around the Ramsey trailhead (first bench)*walked right up behind me about 20 feet away ( my woodcraft skills are slipping with age!) He appeared amused by my yelling and making myself big etc. *Tremont was great with trout hitting parachute adams almost every cast about two miles up the trail when the green weenie failed. First time at Elkmont was OK some trout but I could use some tips on that water. (too little time and lots of water where do I fish?).*

And now my special angling tip. Never. Never stuff your rental car keys in your shirt pocket and fall in the river especially with no *cell phone coverage. *(The call to the wife was the worst). Got to know the tow truck driver real well back to Knoxville. * Special thanks to LRO chat member who hitched me out of the Park! Hoped to meet more of you along the trails but maybe next time. KimB. *;)

David Knapp 10-08-2006 02:08 PM

Re: Trip Report 10/01 to 10/05

Thanks for the report! It sounds like you had a good trip to the Smokies and fished a lot of great water. Elkmont has plenty of fish but they get more pressure compared to some other area streams and the fish aren't always as easy to catch. I usually do well on a Tellico or some other nymph pattern. Hiking helps too....

KimB 10-08-2006 02:50 PM

Plateau,

Thanks for the tip! Will take your advice and invest in some Tellicos for next trip.
KimB.

Griff 10-08-2006 06:27 PM

Thanks for the trip report, sounded like a great few days in the Smokies! Be sure to give a shout next time you come out and maybe a few of us can get together.

Sivad 10-09-2006 08:38 AM

KimB

No problem on the ride out of the park. Looks like you had a great 4 days of fishing. Next time I head into the park I will let you know.

Take care

Patrick

KimB 10-11-2006 12:04 AM

Griff/Sivad:

Thanks for the invite! I will give a hollar next time I am in GSMNP. Sivad, I took your advice and took a long hike up the trail next day. not much on the green weenie but the parachute adams was the ticket.

Kim