Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Tellico Area Fishing? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7145)

doghaircaddis 10-09-2006 11:45 AM

Tellico Area Fishing?

Being new to the board and fly fishing, I was wondering if anyone had any info on fishing in the Tellico area. *I fished the Little River a couple of weeks ago and although I did well, would like to find an area that is not as crowded. I am considering going to the North or Bald Rivers this Saturday in hopes that the more remote area will spare me the crowds that are present in the GSMNP. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on fishing these rivers? Thanks!

russ 10-09-2006 01:07 PM

Re: Tellico Area Fishing?

If you fish the bald river, hike in about a mile above the falls. i don't know about water levels or anything but i'd immagine that they'd be in great shape.

doghaircaddis 10-09-2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

If you fish the bald river, hike in about a mile above the falls. * i don't know about water levels or anything but i'd immagine that they'd be in great shape. *
Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how things go.

David Knapp 10-09-2006 02:04 PM

I fished the Bald River Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours. The water levels are not too bad but the fish were skittish. I managed to fool 10 fish, mostly on a Tellico nymph. The fish were holding fairly deep for the most part.

buzzmcmanus 10-09-2006 03:18 PM

There is a hog hunt going on in the Tellico River Area (Including the North and Bald Rivers) October 9-16. If you are camping in the area, it will not be quiet. They hunt with dogs and the campsites will be full of barking hounds. If you do go, please remember to wear some blaze orange. Hunters are required to wear 500 inched of it (hat and vest).

justfishing 10-09-2006 03:35 PM

I think I hear banjos playin' *;) ;)

justfishing
<'))))><

russ 10-09-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

There is a hog hunt going on in the Tellico River Area (Including the North and Bald Rivers) October 9-16. *If you are camping in the area, it will not be quiet. They hunt with dogs and the campsites will be full of barking hounds. *If you do go, please remember to wear some blaze orange. *Hunters are required to wear 500 inched of it (hat and vest).
That's good to know. I'll be grouse hunting this Saturday.

doghaircaddis 10-09-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

There is a hog hunt going on in the Tellico River Area (Including the North and Bald Rivers) October 9-16. *If you are camping in the area, it will not be quiet. They hunt with dogs and the campsites will be full of barking hounds. *If you do go, please remember to wear some blaze orange. *Hunters are required to wear 500 inched of it (hat and vest).
Thanks for the info. It looks like I'm in for a change of plans >:(.

buzzmcmanus 10-09-2006 05:27 PM

You can still consider camping in the Indian Boundary Campground. I know they have a quiet time and doubt they would put-up-with a bunch of loud dogs (call them first, I'm don't know for sure). Or, there are individual sites along Citico Creek Road and Doublecamp Creek Road (first come first serve, no fee). Doublecamp Creek is in the bear reserve, and I think North and South fork of Citico Creek are in it also (not 100% certain, but certain enough I'd bet a paycheck that they are). There is no hunting in the bear reserve this weekend. All are great places to get away from the crowds. I would still consider fishing the North and Bald Rivers. Don't let the hunters keep you out of the area. The place is HUGE. I've hunted it for days without running across another person. The hunters will leave you alone, they spend big dollars and 100's of hours training their dogs and have better things to do than bother a fisherman, their dogs and equipment sometimes cost more than their homes. Just don't start wallowing around in the mud oinking and squealling.

doghaircaddis 10-11-2006 12:38 PM

Well, I've decided to stick with my original plans. I went and fished the GSMNP yesterday, and there was a significant crowd for a Tuesday (very few fisherman). I guess everyone is coming to the park to see the fall colors. The weather is supposed to be great this weekend, and I can only imagine how busy things will be. I guess I'll just take my chances with the hog hunt. I won't be camping so things should be all right.