Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Gear options? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7166)

Troutman 10-13-2006 11:49 AM

Gear options?

I was wondering what most people are using for on stream gear storage these days. Is the standard fly vest still the most popular? I have seen alot of fishermen using chest packs and hybrids. I started off with a vest years ago, but felt it was too hot during the summer. I use a Filson chest pack during the fall and winter or when wading in tailwaters when you could be in chest deep water at times. A few years ago, I decided that I really don't use most of the stuff in my vest. I now have a lanyard for clippers, floatant and tippet. I carry a couple of flyboxes and some water in a lumbar pack. Before my trip, I pick out a few flies that I feel will be the most productive for the particuliar stream and keep them in a small fly box in my pocket. If hiking in to more remote locations for the day, I add a daypack with lunch, extra water and maybe a raincoat. There is alot of new products on the market and I would like to hear what others are using and reviews.

David Knapp 10-13-2006 02:01 PM

Re: Gear options?

I still use a vest although I'm really wanting to get a small chestpack. For most applications in the Smokies, I don't need more than 5 or 10 different flies. I always have way more stuff than I need.

buckeyetrouter 10-13-2006 02:30 PM

switched to fishpond chest pack this summer and love it....it is comfortable and the fly compartment turns into a little table if you need to set something on it or catch loose flies.....

buckeyetrouter

tennswede 10-13-2006 03:00 PM

buckeye!

I looke at one of those one day at LRO I think it was. How do you feel about that table section? Is it easy to drop something in the drink while you are using it unfolded? Any comments appreciated.

buckeyetrouter 10-13-2006 04:08 PM

Hans......I picked mine up at LRO (also one for my fiance) this last August when we were visiting the park and we both love them. As far as the table (as I called it), I am more at ease using that than pulling a fly box out of my vest and trying to get a fly without dropping the fly box. The fly tray is interchangeable so you can gear that up to your trip. I actually will pull my selected fly with my forcepts so now I don't have to worry about dropping my fly or my fly box.......and to be honest, after a few hours I didn't even realize the chest pack was there. Plus, there are all kinds of spots for zingers and pockets for extra leaders or even enough room for a spare spool (although I never carry one). Oh yea.....you can carry a disposible camera very easily and get to it fast with the chest pack. I believe that was one of your tips when I was talking about my first Brookie that I caught this past August......anyways, it is a wonderful pc of equip. and for some reason I'm thinking it will be more functional if I have to wear a rain jacket vs wearing a vest under a rain jacket......just my thoughts......

Need a favor, we are heading down this Monday for the week and need someone to contact the Weather God's to chase away some of that rain I'm seeing on the 10 day forcast.....would be forever grateful if you could pull that one off....lol.....

buckeyetrouter

buckeyetrouter 10-13-2006 04:14 PM

this is the one Paula sold me:

www.fishpondusa.com/windwalker.cfm

I'm betting it would be handy for those short hike in trips also....

buckeyetrouter

tennswede 10-14-2006 01:37 PM

Buckeyetrouter!

I'm afraid I don't have any power over the weather Gods, I know how it is though. It feels like when you finally have a day or two off. It has to rain. Oh well.

I'm probably going to look into a Fishpond product for my gear next summer. I'm going on a trip to Finland to fish for Arctic Grayling and I'm going to invest in new pair of wading boots and waders as well as a new vest or pack for my gear. I will definitely look into Fishpond products.

Thanks