Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Preference of Leader to Flyline connection (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7197)

DryFly1 10-25-2006 01:15 AM

Preference of Leader to Flyline connection

I have my own prejudice, but wanted to see what the majority prefers....

buckeyetrouter 10-25-2006 05:21 AM

Re: Preference of Leader to Flyline connection

gotta admit, I have not learned many knots and the loop is simple and quick......

curious as to how many people use tippet vs straight leader...

buckeyetrouter

DryFly1 10-25-2006 10:31 AM

Buckeyetrouter,
I don't know anyone who uses strictly "straight leader" vs. "tippet to leader", but when I close this poll I will start a new poll to find out how many people like this method? This could potentially become a very expensive habit....

kytroutman 10-25-2006 10:44 AM

When fishing in the Smokies, I normally use a 9ft, 4x leader and depending on the water, will tie on a length of 5x or 6x tippet material when the situation requires it.

Kytroutbum 10-25-2006 12:03 PM

I make my own loops pulling the core of the fly line back through itself, supergluing with zap a gap and then whip finishing it. (Overkill probably :)) I perfer a 7 1/2 foot leader with a long tippet mostly, and only go to a 9 ft. in low water situations at lower elevations.
Randy Sale

DryFly1 10-25-2006 12:37 PM

Some very interesting line/tippet/leader ideas. *I am kinda old school and prefer the nail knot, clinch knot and perfection loop in my setup. I guess you could call me a "knot head" as I love to tie knots. * *For me, the Nail Knot is very neat,small (with practice a quick tie)and I find that it gives me a better presentation. *I typically use on average a 7 1/2' leader and shoulder width of tippet 5x and, like Kytroutbum, 9' in low water conditions or bigger streams.

Question? (For those who are not knot savvy) If you like the loop and you break your *flyline loop on the stream(and don't know how to tie knots), then what do you do?(besides cuss that you broke it and lost your fly)! *

* Since we are discussing it here, will not do the other poll.... * straight leader/tippet to leader

wndeagle 10-25-2006 12:54 PM

i've been using the little braided loops from orvis, that push on and tighten like a 'chinese finger puzzle'. i like them because there are no knots, and they seem to get through the eyes of the rod with less hang up.

Griff 10-25-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Question? (For those who are not knot savvy) If you like the loop and you break your *flyline loop on the stream(and don't know how to tie knots), then what do you do?(besides cuss that you broke it and lost your fly)! *

* Since we are discussing it here, will not do the other poll.... * straight tippet/tippet to leader
That's why I carry a nail-knot tool in my vest.......somewhere ;D

I like to use Frog-Hair 9ft 6X or 5X leaders with added frog-hair tippet as neeed.

Griff 10-25-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

i've been using the little braided loops from orvis, that push on and tighten like a 'chinese finger puzzle'. *i like them because there are no knots, and they seem to get through the eyes of the rod with less hang up.

I do not like these add-on loops. I tried them once and just did not have the confidence that they woud stay on.

kytroutman 10-25-2006 01:14 PM

I am the same way Griff. I even tried the ones you secure by heating with a lighter but had one come apart, with a fish on.