Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Reel recommendations (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7232)

David Knapp 11-02-2006 05:04 PM

Reel recommendations

I just got a sweet deal on a used St. Croix Legend Ultra. *It is a 7' 6" 3 weight. *I am looking for suggestions on a good reel for it. *I have been using the Orvis Battenkill original reels and am thinking about trying out a mid-arbor or something else. It would also be nice if it would work well with my 4 weight Superfine rod so I can have an extra spool that will allow me to fish either rod. *Any ideas?

Griff 11-02-2006 05:31 PM

Re: Reel recommendations

I would go with the Orvis BBS II. It should fit nicely with both of those rods and is very light and very smooth. I love mine. Plus it's only $99 and I think the extra spool is about $45.

Troutman 11-02-2006 05:50 PM

Those St.Croix LUs are great rods. I own two of them. A 9ft 3wt. and a 9ft. 6wt. I also have a superfine 4wt. My favorite reel is a Ross Canyon LA size 1, that is no longer made. It has a DT 4wt line on it and I use it on the superfine and the St. Croix 3wt. I liked the new Ross evolution reels but they are pricey.
I bought a new Orvis Mid-Arbor for the 6wt a few months ago and it is very smooth and the price is much better. I would take the rod by LRO and see how they balance on the rod before deciding. Hope you enjoy it!
Troutman

Giantfish 11-02-2006 05:54 PM

You know what you guys, you tell me this all the time and now you forget it YOUSELF :o LRO. They are awsome they can tell you. They probally have it too. Ask them.

David Knapp 11-02-2006 10:36 PM

Thanks guys for the help... *I'll check into that BBS II. *I'm sure the good folks at LRO are looking forward to my next visit. 8-)

kytroutman 11-03-2006 09:09 AM

I would second the Battenkill Bar Stock. I own a series II and IV and love both of them.

Woody 11-03-2006 09:06 PM

Just recived my Hoilday Issue Orvis catalog. If you have one you've see it too. Page 3, check out the the 150th anniversary limited addition Vom Hofe "Perfection" Only 30 avalible. Asking price $4,650. I'll put it on my Christmas list but I think Santa would rather make a couple of house payments. I would love to have one but no reel is worth that price tag. WOW

David Knapp 11-03-2006 11:38 PM

Well now, a $4,650 reel sounds good. Seeing as how I'm a poor college student, I'll start taking donations from anyone that would like to see this reel put to good use... ::) Seriously, for that price the reel should catch the fish for you so you can just watch and enjoy.

TroutDude 11-04-2006 03:09 PM

I have a Galvan Standard 3 and an Open Back 4 and I love both of them. However, they are a bit more expensive. I am rough on gear and they have held up to all I've thrown at them.