Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Wading Boot Soles (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7255)

TroutDude 11-07-2006 07:12 AM

Wading Boot Soles

I was wondering what you people thought about Aquastealth soles? I'm looking for a new pair of boots and I'm leaning in that direction. Thanks

Grumpy 11-07-2006 09:09 AM

Re: Wading Boot Soles

I had never given them much thought until i ordered a pair of Chaco sandals this year for wet wading with the Aqua S soles.
They're sticky ;D, i was stanfing on a rock one day in swift current when my wife kept on grabbing ahold of my belt, i told her she needed to go before she took us both down :o, her Chacos with the regular soles were sliding.
Once the gang was back on the "snot" rocks, i out paced all of them walking around, whether they were in sandals or wading boots.
I don't think i would want to do a lot of hiking in them, of course i don't like to hike in any wading boot, they sure are grippy in the stream though.

Grumpy

Troutman 11-07-2006 01:28 PM

Most people who have tried Aquastealth either Love or Hate them. I bought a pair from llbean several years ago and wore them on a Yellowstone trip. They had built in studs and worked pretty good hiking thru the snow. I had a hard time remaining on my feet in the water though. I tried them in the smokies and slid down numerous times. Mossy rocks like the South Holston were better. I sent them back and bought some Chota STLs' with felt soles and removable studs from LRO. I just like felt better. My fishing buddy still has his Aquastealth boots and loves them. Maybe I am just to clumsy but I feel more secure with the old technology of felt.

Elk riverrat 11-21-2006 01:16 AM

I to have a pair from LL Bean, got tired of falling, straw that broke the camels back was a trip to the Smokies, it's 4 1/2 hard hours from my house to the park, got tired of falling, sent them back and went back to felt, nothing like wet felt, in my opinion and 32 years of wading experience.

Sage 11-21-2006 12:51 PM

In the Park, I'm stickin' with felt.

wndeagle 11-21-2006 03:08 PM

anybody got an opinion about using the studs with felt?

Troutman 11-21-2006 05:31 PM

wndeagle, I like having the option of studs in felt wading boots because they certainly do improve traction on mossy rocks. The studs are not effective on smooth clean rocks like most of the streams in the smokies. I like the Chota STL boots. They have removable studs and I am just replacing the felt after 2 years of wear. I keep a 1/4" nutdriver with my fishing bag and it only takes a few minutes to remove or install them. The boots are lightweight and very easy to put on. I would recommend them if you fish tailwaters and park streams.

wndeagle 11-21-2006 05:42 PM

thanks troutman for the excellent reply. i'm almost ready for new waders/boots, and do fish mostly tailwaters. removable studs make a lot of sense.

ttas67 11-24-2006 01:19 AM

I don't know about chacos with aqua stealth soles, but I wouldn't even attempt regular chacos in a smokies stream. I've made that mistake before. I've thought about shooting them an email and seeing if they've ever thought about putting some felt on the bottom of their sandals. I think they'd sell like hot cakes, as these are definitely the best outdoor sandals ever made. I hike in mine, and wouldn't hesitate to take off in a full sprint while wearing them. they fit more snugly than a tennis shoe and will last forever.