Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   I killed a fish (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7259)

doghaircaddis 11-07-2006 03:59 PM

I killed a fish

I was just thinking about something that happened during my last outing.

So, I was fishing this small stream. *The fish were killing the dry. *Each cast had me anxiously waiting to set the hook. *I got a hit and quicky lifted my rod tip. *I jerked a small rainbow (5") completely out of the water. *The fly came out as it sailed past my head and into the trees behind me. *The foliage was so dense that I didn't stand a chance finding the thing. *:( *I felt pretty bad about this but couldn't stop laughing. *Any of you ever had this happen?

russ 11-07-2006 04:28 PM

Re: I killed a fish

I've been fishing and go to cast to a new spot and something feels different on the line and finding a small fingeling attached to the fly :o. I'd been slinging it around trying to cast. This has happened a few times but i've always released the fish successfully. i hope they didn't later die from the terrible headache they were sure to have. :-/

Troutman 11-07-2006 04:44 PM

I was recently fishing dries above Elkmont and at the end of a drift as I was picking up the line for the next cast, a small rainbow about 4" grabbed the fly and went sailing downstream and slamming into a boulder :(. It was bleeding badly so I left it in shallow water after killing it. I hope a raccoon or something found it. I am sure PETA would have disapproved but these things happen.

David Knapp 11-07-2006 05:35 PM

I was fishing a few weeks back and had something funny happen. I was highstickin' and had a strike so I did what you're supposed to do and set the hook, I just set it a little harder than was necessary I guess. Anyway, I saw a small brown flying directly at my head and time seemed to stand still. I did a weird in-air mend/contortion with my fly rod to attempt to redirect the poor fish. It narrowly missed my head but was then hanging over my shoulder somewhere on my back! ;D I tried looking over my shoulder, still too confused to simply pull the line back over. By the time I figured out what needed to be done, the little guy gave a mighty twitch and fell back into the water I was standing in...

russ 11-07-2006 05:44 PM

I bet that fish went and told his buddies about the big one that got away. *"I had him right where I wanted him. *The fool gave me his back but just as I was getting ready to lock in the figure four death grip he shimmied around and threw me off." *then his buddies would say, "I bet he was that big". *Then i bet he went home all aggrevated because no one believed him and he got on his computer and posted the story on a message board and everyone poked fun at him for telling his fishing stories again. ;D

Griff 11-07-2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Anyway, I saw a small brown flying directly at my head and time seemed to stand still. *I did a weird in-air mend/contortion with my fly rod...
I get this picture in my head similar to the bullet dodging scenes in the Matrix movies ;D

I was fishing a BHPT and was picking my line up for another cast when a litlle guy thought he would take a bite. The hook was not set but he held on until the apex of the back cast and flew about 30 yards into the pool behind me