Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Cumberland Mnt St Park (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7334)

Deedub 11-28-2006 10:49 PM

Cumberland Mnt St Park

I'm going home this weekend to visit the folks and thought about going over to Cumberland Mnt State Park in Homestead.
I noticed the TWRA is going to stock the lake there in the park and I thought I would give it a shot.
Has anybody ever fished there after they stock it? Any suggestions on how to fish the lake? I'm still pretty knew to FF, so any help would be great.
Thanks.

DW

David Knapp 11-29-2006 12:03 AM

Re: Cumberland Mnt St Park

I'll probably be there myself this coming Sunday. Stop by and say hi if you are out then, I'll probably be near the dam... There are normally lots of fish down near the dam. I have done okay in the past using just about any nymph or wet fly with a bit of weight (bead heads). I keep varying my retrieve until I find what the fish want.

Deedub 11-29-2006 12:28 PM

I think I'll be there Saturday morning, but thanks for the tip. I'm going to try and take a camera and get some decent pics. Yours are great...so if you have any luck Sunday, by all means...pass them along.

Do you think it will be crowded? I grew up around there, but I've never fished the park.

Take care.

dw

appalachian angler 12-01-2006 09:10 AM

I'll fish the park in winter too. It never gets too crowded except for the spin fishers that pile up on the foot bridge. Fishing by the dam is good but alitle tough to cast due to the hill behind you and the trees.
I have had the best luck with a white wooley bugger sz. 10. with alittle something flashy in the pattern.

The trout they stocked last year were kinda small. I caught nothing bigger than 10". Still, it can be a good excuse to get out on a winter day and have some fun.

AA

Deedub 12-04-2006 10:59 AM

Cumberland Mnt St Park report

Not much to report really. I showed up mid-morning Saturday and everyone I talked to had had a tough go of it. One guy (spinner w/ corn) said he caught about 6 in the early morning on the high side of the dam...but that he hadn't had a strike in a while.
I decided to fish below the dam (per Plateau Angler) and used a tan wooly bugger. I did manage to land one Rainbow, but it was slow going after that. I only fished for about 2 two hours and headed for the house.

PA...did you make it out there Sunday?

Thanks for the tip to go below the dam.

DW

David Knapp 12-04-2006 03:29 PM

I got out in the late afternoon on Sunday and got skunked... :'( Oh well, I had a nice time getting out and that is what matters. I'm thinking that the fish need a bit more time to get used to the lake since they were just stocked. Glad you were able to catch one...let me know if you're in the area again this winter and maybe we can meet up.