Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Hiwassee on one generator (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7424)

Dave 12-23-2006 01:03 PM

Hiwassee on one generator

Anybody fish the Hiwassee on one generator? If so, how is it?

I'm planning on taking a few trips over the holiday and the Hiwassee saves me an hour over other areas but I've not spent a lot of time on it and only when they were not running any generators. It looks like their going to stick with one generator all day for the near future, which I gather is good if you drift... which I wouldn't be. *The guy at Hiwassee.net seems to fish it regardless of generation schedule but he likely knows where you can get away with that.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.

David Knapp 12-23-2006 03:12 PM

Re: Hiwassee on one generator

You can wade up around the powerhouse if you're careful on two generators. That is where I would probably fish, just cross the bridge over the river and fish on the far bank opposite the road. If you are unfamiliar with the river, I would recommend a wading staff. Also, this time of year there will be fish up above the powerhouse and unless it has rained a lot, the water will be wadeable. You will have some options on one generator, just take your time and know your limits. Good luck if you go!

Rockyraccoon 12-24-2006 12:58 AM

Hey Dave,

The Hiwassee has a lot of water available for wading on a solid one turbine flow. As mentioned, the powerhouse area is pretty darn good on one and is even very doable on 2 turbines.

Other areas you may want to consider. moving downstream from the powerhouse, park along the road before you reach Fox's Cabin (the block wall along the road and river), hike through the woods and you'll find some great flats for wading.

Down between Fox's and Towee Creek you'll have a variety of good shoals and flats to wade.

The Towee Creek area is farily doable on two and even better on one. Just stay well upstream of the big shoals below Towee Creek.

Moving on downstream past the islands below Towee Shoals, You'll find quite a bit of wadable water between the islands and the sharp "S" turns.

The Big Bend area will also offer some good wading in and around the shoals.

Hiking into the Quality Zone probably wouldn't be bad but would require a lot more typing, I'll be happy to help with more info....just shoot me an email or message.

Most of these places will offer good wading, but I can't say enough about taking your time, and the use of a good wading staff. Some places are a little tricky but if you take your time I think you'll find the HI offers some great wading on one turbine.

The fish are biting very well right now. An ultra small midge has been hatching out all day, the fish will only show backs and tails as they eat them out of the film and a small soft hackle swung and striped will work.

Also look out for small olives that the fish will take with a little more gusto. Often fish will be mixed together with some keyed on the midges and others keyed on the olives so pay close attention.

Winter stones are starting to turn up and the fish feeding on them will show different rise forms than those of the smaller bugs. Dark caddis patterns will work fine for the stones. As will nymphs being swung and stripped after a long dead drift.

Boogers in blacks, olives, and whites are working particulary well. Mix up the strip and retrieval rates to match the fish your fishing too.

I've also done well lately with large attractor soft hackles, swung and stripped with a half a twiston about 15" inches up the leader.

Been using mostly 4X and 5x flouro for all sub surface applications and 5x to 7x for the dries depending on fly size.

Hope this helps a little.

kylemc 12-26-2006 12:25 AM

Quote:

Hey Dave,

Hope this helps a little.
;D ;D

You the man Rocko,
Kyle

Dave 12-26-2006 04:25 PM

It was helpful, trying to read it going up powerhouse road was tough. *By the way, some of those rocks up there should be in a Steven King novel, I swear they were out to get me.