Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website and Message Board (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Book Reviews (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7633)

Vern 02-01-2007 11:40 PM

Book Reviews

I read alot and i am aways looking for new reads. I happened ot find the book Travers Corner the other in one of those junk book stores. I realy enjoyed this book. There are several Fly fishing books out there, but some are better reads than others. Just a suggest is to add a book review topic where we can post the books we have read and suggest book to new fly fishermen.

TroutDude 02-01-2007 11:52 PM

Re: Book Reviews

I am currently reading Casting a Spell: The Bamboo Fly Rod and the American Pursuit of Perfection by George Black. *It deals with the origination of the bamboo fly rod and the characters surrounding its history. Very well written, and very entertaining. The last book I read was one given for Christmas. It was the The Trout Whisperers by Peter Bodo. Athough I enjoyed reading about places I have been and dream about, I just couldn't really get into this book. It wasn't horrible ... just So-So.

Dude

gjbu 02-04-2007 09:17 AM

If you like Travers Corners there are two more. Return to Travers Corners and Travers Corners The Final Chapters. Sadly the author Scott Waldie passed away last year I think. Both are as good as the first.

Vern 02-04-2007 02:44 PM

Only 2 replies, maybe a book review topic is not a good idea. But I will post some of my better reads on this thread.
Of course the GSNNP Flyfishing books
two books by Don Kirk are very good
"Smoky Mountians Trout Fishing Guide"
"Fly-Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains"

H. Lea Lawrence
"The fly Fishermans Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park"

This not realy a fly fishing book but was a very good read.
Johnny Molloy
"Trail By Trail Backpacking in the Smokey Mountians"

Another book that is not fly fishing but a very good read
Bill Bryson
"A Walk in the Woods"

L.J. DeCuir
"Southeastern Flies"

James R. Babb
" River Music"
"Fly Fishing Fool"

The Brown Water Boys
" The Offbeat Angler"

Scott Waldie
"Travers Corner"
I Just order the pther 2 books, I liked the first one so much.

Of course any of Left Kreh's Books
"Lefty's Favorite Fly-fishing Waters"
"Presenting The Fly"
"The Ultimate Guide to Flyfishing'
" Solving Fly Casting Problems"
"Modern Fly-Casting Methods: Decades of Fly-Casting Wisdom from America's Fly Casting Coach"

I also own and have read several Fly Fushing Mystery Books
William G. Tapply
"Bitch Creek"

John Galligan
"The Blood Knot"
"The Nail Knot"

Jim Tenuto
"Blood Atonement"

David Leitz
"The fly fishin Corpse"
"Dying to Fly Fish"
"fly Fishing can be Fatal"
"Casting into Dead Water"
"Hooked on Death"

A biolgraphy About Leigh Perkins "Orvis" was very intresting
" A Sportsman's Life"

Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer
"The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference"

I have several good fly tying books. Actualy Too many to list here.When I read Gaintfishes post about what flyfishing books he could read I just Laughed. All He has ot do is to walk out his room cross the hall to my office. My wife just rolls her eyes when she walks in here. But I guess Fly fishing and a Flyfishing Libaryis a cheaper Mid life Criss than A Itilan sports car ;D

MTN_TRT 02-04-2007 04:57 PM

Some how I missed this thread or I would have posted sooner...

Lets see what have I read this winter that was good??

John Gireach
"Trout Bum"
"Sex, Death and Flyfishing"
"Standing in a River Waving a Stick"
--I own all three, love em!

John Grogan
"Marley and Me"
--Have this one too, read it twice. Dog lover? Try this one.

James Babb
"Crosscurrents"

Dave Ames
"A Good Life Wasted"
--Cant be all true...

Jimmy Buffett
"A Salty Piece of Land"
--Great book! If youre kinda conservative not the best choice.
"Tales from Margaritaville"
--(see above)

Thats all that I can think of....I need a new book.

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

Vern 02-04-2007 05:04 PM

A salty piece of land was a good read, Left it off my list.

gjbu 02-05-2007 07:02 PM

Was The blood Knot better thanThe Nail knot? I thought the Nail Knot was a little slow? Another good mystery is Bitch Creek by William G. Tapply. He has another book Grey Ghost is coming out in March.

doghaircaddis 02-05-2007 10:27 PM

All of Gierach's stuff is excellent, but you probably already know that.

Just read one called "Wisdom of the Guides" - Paul Arnold. A great how-to book that I'll probably read again.

Vern 02-06-2007 12:20 PM

I thought the blood Knot was a little better. Little more intresting Characters.

TroutDude 02-06-2007 11:13 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you all have read The Trout Pool: The American Lives of Three Rivers by George Black or Firehole River Murder: Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Mystery Series by Raymond Kieft. I buy WAY too many books so I've grown to only buy a book when I get to the second to last chapter of the book I'm currently reading. I'm looking to buy a nice copy of A Modern Dry-Fly Code but I need to save my pennies just a bit longer.

Dude