Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Fly Fisherman's Health (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7704)

Troutman 02-12-2007 12:45 PM

Fly Fisherman's Health

This is a subject I don't think anyone has discussed before and I wasn't sure where to post it.
This has been a long cold winter and hopefully Spring's warmer temps will come early this year.
I definitely have the fever. CABIN FEVER that is! I haven't been able to go fishing very much this winter. I planned on going to the S.Holston and Watauga several times during Jan. and Feb. but things change, work, etc. To compensate for it, I have been tying flies and reorganizing the gear several times. I went up to LRO twice to watch the tying demos. (thanks LRO) I rig up the flyrods and practice casting on the lawn. My neighbors think I'm crazy, Even ask If their biting sometimes. They don't understand this addiction. I know some of you can probably relate though.
What are you doing to prepare for the upcoming Spring fishing ? What about the other problems that plague most of us over 35? I'm talking about flycasting related like sore hands from gripping the flyrod handle all day. I know several guides that have developed tendonitis in their forearms from repetitive rowing and casting. Remember how sore your shoulders and low back can be after casting all day while hunched over concentrating on the drifts.
A hot shower, and a good meal followed by an Ibuprofen definitely helps, but here are a few other things to do also.
1: Strengthen your grip; Exercise your hand muscles and fingers with a stress ball or therapy putty.
2: Stretch out your shoulder and back muscles before you head into the stream. Especially after driving for long periods.
3: Drink lots of water to prevent dehydrating and muscle cramping.
4: Forearm tendonitis can be relieved by wearing a tennis elbow brace that compresses the upper forearm tendons.
5: A wide wader belt or lower Lumbar support brace helps with a stressed back.
Lastly, RELAX, take time to sit down and watch the water. Listen to it. Not only does it usually lower your stress level, but may give you an idea whats hatching on the stream.
Anyone else have any suggestions? No OLD man jokes please!

gverholek 02-12-2007 09:22 PM

Somehow I managed to contract tendonitis in my right knee. Depending on the size of the boulders and the slippery nature of the rocks, this could be really painful. I fished the South Holston, the Middle Prong Little River and the Clinch. It hurts! I finally listened to my wife and wore a wrap, similar to a wrap for tennis elbow, and it really helped. It's tough getting old (er).

Gary

Vern 02-12-2007 10:45 PM

I have suffered from a broken foot since March 2006. It healed then I broke it again in November 06. Same foot same bone Doctors can't explain why it keeps breaking. I used to enjoy solo backcountry fishing, but now i will be taking someone with me at all times. In september i hiked in about 4 miles by myself. Now I am afraid that the foot will break again, not a fun hike back:mad: Physcial therapy helps a lot, which goes to show there better shape you are in the safer you will be. The cold water sure makes it feel good after a long hike.

buckeyetrouter 02-14-2007 04:06 PM

I have arthritis in my hands and a long day on the water can be a challange. To this point i have only used Tylenol Arthritis strength to a bit of success, but any other suggestions would be appriciated....Any Old Time remedies would be welcomed.......

buckeyetrouter

geerona 02-14-2007 06:45 PM

Vern,

I have a friend who has broken the same bone in his foot 3 times. His doctor told him that once a bone in the foot has been broken it tends to happen again (and again in my friends case). I don't know if the Doc explained why or not.

My problem is the knees. After having one knee replaced fishing has become far more comfortable. I had the other "scoped" a couple months later and I am really glad I did. Of course there is not real cure for cabin fever except getting out of the cabin!

Grumpy 02-15-2007 11:03 AM

I almost went 2 weeks w/o fishing, sick one of those.
Sometimes ya just gotta be irresponsible & do what makes YOU happy.

Grumpy

geerona 02-15-2007 11:57 AM

Grumpy,

I was able to fish the "hard water" twice last weekend but it's just not the same as standing in a stream pounding those pools and runs with the long stick! I've got that Indiana strain of cabin fever that was hightened this Tuesday with almost 17" of snow.

Regards, gary <*))))><

Grumpy 02-15-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geerona (Post 33919)
Grumpy,

I was able to fish the "hard water" twice last weekend but it's just not the same as standing in a stream pounding those pools and runs with the long stick! I've got that Indiana strain of cabin fever that was hightened this Tuesday with almost 17" of snow.

Regards, gary <*))))><

Road Trip

Grumpy

geerona 02-15-2007 12:46 PM

I'm reading the fishing report on a daily basis and just waiting for the mountain streams to begin warming up, and the first hatches to begin. If it's at all possible I'll be there for a few days.

Regards, gary <*))))><

Troutman 02-15-2007 02:02 PM

FF Health

gverholek, You may want to see a Physical therapist or Physical Med. MD for strength training exercises on your knees. You can also wear a hinged neoprene knee brace if you have problems with hyperextensions
It will give you warm compression and added stability.

Buckeyetrouter, The old remedy for arthritis in hands, elbows, knees and feet requiring no medications is the use of hot paraffin wax therapy. You dip into a bath of wax and let it dry and then peel it off.

As far as the Cabin fever goes, I hope to get out this weekend. I am saving my irresponsible days for when the weather is warmer and the days are longer!