Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Coldest, weather you've fished in? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7753)

Troutman 02-17-2007 12:30 AM

Coldest, weather you've fished in?

I'm planning on hitting a local (unnamed !!) tailwater tomorrow due to the good gen. schedule. The weather is supposed to be cold and slightly windy with snow showers coming later in the day. I was gathering up my cold weather fishing clothing and my wife likes to make fun of all the trouble I will go through just to catch a fish. The long johns, layers of fleece, waterproof neoprene gloves and the earmuffs with a toboggan on top! I guess we do look kind of silly with all this gear on, especially after you add the waders and vest. Is it worth it? I think so!

The coldest weather I have been out on the water fishing was in Yellowstone in Oct. 2002. We would leave the warm hotel in West Yellowstone before daylight each day and drive past a bank sign that showed the temp. There were several days the sign was reading -4 deg. There was about 8-10 inches of snow on the ground also, so we pretty much had the parks streams to ourselves. The fish didn't care, they were hungry and we caught alot of good fish on that trip.
Anybody have any good tales of extreme fishing adventures?

mmorgan135 02-17-2007 05:35 PM

I dont have any extreme stories to share but I seems that I usually dont have a problem staying warm until I put my hands in the water for the first time to either catch a fish or some other reason. Once my hand is wet I usually notice how much colder I am than before. I guess I could fix this by wearing gloves but I really dont like wearing gloves at all. Even when deer hunting or duck hunting, I prefer to wear a hand muff with hot hands inside so that my hands are free.

mtnman2888 02-17-2007 05:57 PM

And did you ever notice that whenever it's really, really cold you always seem to catch a fish first thing that way your hand gets frozen first thing! Just wondering if anyone else has this happen to them......

geerona 02-18-2007 08:50 AM

Extreme fishing conditions

Actually there have been days when the extreme heat combined with humidity after a rain seemed pretty brutal. I guess my best, or is it worst, extreme fishing would have been standing in water hovering in the 30's, in a blinding snowstorm with temps in the teens hoping for a steelie.

I've always felt like anyone could fish the nice days but there's something special about braving the brutal ones. I have noticed that no matter how cold a person gets there's nothing like a "fish on" or a deer approaching to erase all the suffering.

Regards, gary <*))))><

Leinart 02-18-2007 09:51 AM

coldest day fishing? probably today....

Thinking of the Hiwassee this afternoon....
stay tuned!
L :)

OLDBEAU 02-20-2007 03:29 AM

White Caps & Ice

Sunday Feb 18th Sure Was Cold On Chilhowee Lake.
Put The 15' Riverhawk In @ The Abrams Creek Launch And Fished The First Creek On The Left Going Up. Missed 2 Huge Rainbows, And Moved On To Abrams Creek. The Wind Moved Us Rapidly Past The First Bend And Before I Knew It We Were "on Ice". I Didn't Bring The Awger, So We Paddled Back Onto "water" And Used The 4hp Johnson To Fight The Wind And Waves Back To The Ramp!
Wet And Cold! And No Trout!
After Thawing Out, We Fished Below Chilhowee Dam For Some Small Stockers.....very Warm After The "ice" On Abrams Creek.
The Coming Weekend Will Seem Like August!

buzzmcmanus 02-20-2007 02:37 PM

Cold

I know it isn't fly fishing, but my wife and I were in Ohio fishing Feb 10th of this year. Here is a picture to prove it.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...efisherman.jpg
When I moved from Ohio several years ago, I swore I'd never ice fish again. My wife made me go back, she'd never been on frozen water before.

Leinart 02-20-2007 04:03 PM

cold but, not sure if it was *the* coldest...

Hiwassee February 18, 2007

http://web.utk.edu/~freeman/center

SmokyMTNSteelhead 02-22-2007 11:45 PM

Coldest Day

I went steelheading a few weeks back and the temp was hovering at about -3 with windchill at -15....if there is open water you can fish it!!!

tight lines
jordan

Jswitow 02-23-2007 02:09 PM

Coldest Day

I think my coldest days were the last 2 spent in Michigan, year before last in November. We went the 10th of November, the first morning was 11 degrees, and the second was 13. We were there.........so we fished. The guide set-up one of the propane radiant heaters and I literally melted the dark poly-felt on my Chota boots trying to warm my feet. The boat was encased in ice. We were doing the chuck & duck thing so ice wasn't so much the problem, just the brutal cold. The day we left it made it into the low 50's..........Somebody should shoot that fellow Murphy.
Had a few miserably cold days in January and February of this year over on Snowbird; temps in the high 20's, water in the low 30's. For no real rhyme or reason the fishing would be good one day and terrible the next. Though I can usually come up with a theory (read: elaborate excuse) for why they don't bite, or I can't manage to get them in the net! Still it beats the h.... out of not fishing!
Tight lines,
John