Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Caney Fork Water Flow Timeline (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7790)

doghaircaddis 02-23-2007 06:23 PM

Caney Fork Water Flow Timeline

Is there anyone out there that could provide the water flow times for all the main access points on the Caney? Or maybe direct me to a site that has the info...?

Thanks!

DryFly1 02-23-2007 06:48 PM

Updated times: Previously I had posted the times by what I had been told. I've never actually timed it, and have always been out well before the levels start coming up, but I verified these times by the folks at Big Rock Market this week.. New times are as follows...

"Happy Hollow" access area provides a gravel parking, easy access to the river and a gravel ramp for either launching a boat during generation or easy access for canoes to put in or take out. When generation starts at the Center Hill dam the rising water takes approximately 2 to 2 + hours to reach Happy Hollow and 4 to 4.5 hours to fall back to pregeneration levels.

Rest Area at I-40 *This is a good fishing area to park at and walk to, but for canoe access use Happy Hollow Access Area. It's only .25 mile up stream, and you can drive right to your boat. Water level approx same as Happy Hollow.

"Betty's Island" Access Area has a gravel parking area and good river access. There is no boat ramp but there is easy access to put in or take out a canoe(Actually, I think they have completed the ramp now). When generation starts at the Center Hill dam the rising water takes approximately 3 to 3.5 hours to reach Betty's Island access area.

"Kirby Rd". Road side parking and good river access. There is no boat ramp but there is access to put in or take out a canoe. It's about 1.5 miles past the Betty's Island area. It usually takes about 4 to 4+ hours for the water to start coming up.

Mark...

doghaircaddis 02-23-2007 06:53 PM

Great!

I was going to try to fish Kirby road for a bit early tomorrow morning before the water starts to come up, then move up and fish below the dam after they cut it at 9.

Vern 02-23-2007 10:08 PM

Along the same line. how fast does the river fall after generation stops. I have always moved with the rise of water, staying ahead of it. But this fall mtff had an outing and the generations were not very fishable. on the last day I assumed the water would fall at the same rate as the rise. WRONG! 3hrs after the generation and sluch stopped Happy hollow was still up to the concrete ramp. Is this normal?

David Knapp 02-23-2007 11:18 PM

The water will generally take at least twice as long to START falling out. At Happy, it usually takes 6-7 hours before I would want to start fishing it although if you know the area VERY well, you can fish some much sooner.

Also, in my experience, it takes closer to 2 hours for the water to rise at Happy if it had time to fall all the way out between generation...

doghaircaddis 02-24-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plateau Angler (Post 34362)
The water will generally take at least twice as long to START falling out. At Happy, it usually takes 6-7 hours before I would want to start fishing it although if you know the area VERY well, you can fish some much sooner.

Also, in my experience, it takes closer to 2 hours for the water to rise at Happy if it had time to fall all the way out between generation...

So the water will NOT be down at Betty's Island by 7am if they cut the gens at midnight?

I guess I'll be better off sleeping in and fishing near the dam around 10 or 11.

David Knapp 02-24-2007 12:26 AM

According to the schedule, the generators have been off all day today and won't come on until tomorrow morning for the two hours... Personally, I MUCH prefer fishing low water and would get down early and hit something downstream (Betty's, Kirby) until the water starts to come up (which would probably 10 or later at Kirby). After that, I would take a snack break and then try the dam... By late afternoon, the Lancaster pullouts should be fishable...

doghaircaddis 02-24-2007 12:28 AM

Right!

I wasn't even paying attention to that, but they have been off all day. So I do get to stick to my plan....Kirby Rd, then up toward Lancaster. PA, u fishing tomorrow?

David Knapp 02-24-2007 09:17 AM

No fishin' for me today, maybe the HI tomorrow though. Let us know how the Caney is fishing... I'm looking forward to fishin' it over spring break soon!!!

DryFly1 02-24-2007 03:11 PM

I updated the post for the water levels. I confirmed the levels with Big Rock Market and Canoe Rental. Please see updated times. The previous times were by information I had recieved in the past. I will "trust but verify" from now on? It's always a good idea to get out well before times indicated!

HAVE FUN...

Mark...