Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fisheries Management & Biology (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Clinch Management (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8004)

flydoc 03-24-2007 07:12 AM

Clinch Management

I wish I could attend the TWRA meeting Monday night, but expecting a new baby any day so probably won't be able to make it. Like the other members, I have also noted a slight decline in the number of quality fish on the Clinch over the last several years.

I recognize that, unfortunately, there will likely never be restrictive catch and release only/artificials only/significant size limit restrictions on the Clinch due to interests from the baitfishers and meatfishers. However, I always thought that placing restrictions on keeping the brown trout (catch and release only or slot limit or minimum 18") while leaving essentially no restrictions on the rainbows could be a viable compromise that could improve the quality of the fishery. I always wanted to ask TWRA about that, but looks like I'll miss my chance. Any thoughts? Perhaps something that could be brought up in the meeting.

FFM4LIFE 03-24-2007 11:11 AM

I did really well with a griffiths gnat about this time last year.

RFowler 03-24-2007 03:31 PM

Folks, my friend Jeremey (waterborn) just contacted me and asked if I was going to make it to this meeting Monday night. I can't (I have a good reason), but I urge those that can to be there. We (sportfisherman) need to start showing a strong presence at these meeting to show that we give a darn about the watersheds we enjoy. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I, personally, think meatfisherman have been enjoying free range on this river for too long. It's time for a change.

mstone 03-24-2007 06:45 PM

Clinch River

I agree RFowler, fisherman interested in the resource need to make their voice heard. Let me correct that, flyfisherman, need to have their voice heard. Like you said, the meat fisherman seems to have it made. I would love to attend but my work makes it all but impossible. TWRA needs to see an interest in improving things up there or they could stay the same.

mstone

Green Weenie 03-24-2007 08:16 PM

TWRA Meeting Info?

When and where is this meeting going to be held? I don't have any irons in the fire for Monday night, so I should be able to attend.

RFowler 03-25-2007 08:07 PM

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=7924

Flat Fly n 03-25-2007 08:32 PM

Meeting tomorrow night

Location 101 S. Hicks St., Clinton

It looks like on the map that it is just off Main St which runs parallel to 61

The time is 6:30 - 8PM

Just a personal footnote.
This issue is not about baitfishermen or flyfishermen. I could care less. It is about quality fishing. I believe the quality has been gone from the Clinch for a long time. I am not about imposing or restricting rights to LAND owners, but it is about common sense management.... too many people fishing and already overstressed resourse and limited money to continue to throw 3" fish by the truckload to try to fix. If the Clinch (as TWRA says) can grow fish, then why not grow and protect these fish until they reach an acceptable catch and keep size? Slot the river, or is it just the fact that folks manhood is questioned unless he comes home without his limit of 5" fish!

Flat Fly'n

Jswitow 03-25-2007 11:40 PM

Clinch Regs

I have a few scars from this old discussion. There should have been some consideration for the people who would like to see a quality fishery on the Clinch a long time ago. I am not looking for "Catch and Release" regs either. Why not some common sense regs to allow some growth of the fish. Slot on the browns would be great. Maybe 1 over 18 and 1 under 12" ? You then have to have some enforcement on the river. The Clinch does not get enough natural reproduction to sustain (sp?) itself, so it will always be a "put and take" fishery, lets just finally add the word "grow" to the phrase "Put, grow and take!"
What I don't understand is the number of guys out there who feel it is a God given right to keep every trout they land, who don't think twice about throwing back every bass they catch. No offense to the bass, I grew up fishing for them and still enjoy them........ smallmouth in particular! I just don't enjoy the mindset.
It almost seems like this is a way of sticking it to the perceived elitest fly fisherman. That is a shame.
I am going to try to get there tomorrow night but I coach a U10 soccer team from 5:15 to 6:30pm. School nights are tough with kids as well.
Lame excuses, I know! I will be interested to hear a report if I don't make it. I will alot more to say afterward!
Best,
John

Troutman 03-29-2007 02:03 PM

Clinch suggestions

Received a reply on my email letter to TWRA on Clinch Management Suggestions today.

"Thanks for your comments" Thats it! At least I know they received and read it even though it probably went to the Delete file.

SouthFork Skiff 04-01-2007 04:51 AM

Lucky enough to get out Sat. day evening...and was lucky enough to land a 4+lb pound rainbow and the highlight of my fly fishing career...a 7+lb brown, hook jaw, all the things that get me goin!!!! So keep fishing, the management may not be the way we want it but some of the big ones are still there!!!