Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Backcountry (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Campsite 53 Report (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8836)

mmorgan135 07-30-2007 03:17 PM

Campsite 53 Report

Well the hike into 53 is very nice and pretty much down hill the entire way. The first part of the trail is some somewhat steep switchbacks down the mountain and then it just becomes a slight downhill grade pretty much the entire time. It only has one or two stream crossing, I guess depending on how much rain there has been recently. I made it to the campsite in an hour and a half. I passed a man and a woman about 20 minutes into walking who said that the creek was up pretty high and that they had been staying at 53 also. I was worried that I wouldnt get to the campsite before it started raining again but I made it without a single shower.

The campsite it pretty nice and I had a very nice place to pitch my tent, and used the bear cables to get my food off the ground. After setting up camp I hiked down the trail aways and began to fish. I caught all rainbows Saturday afternoon with some decent size fish mixed in with some tiny ones. All of the fish were caught on a size 16 olive EHC. I fished a copper john dropper behind it a few times through some deep runs but the fish seemed to want the dry. I fished until about an hour to dark and then came out alittle above the campsite and hiked back down to fix dinner. My new stove and cookset works amazingly. I had zitti with zuchinni and summer sausage. It was delicious. I had a small fire built and enjoyed that for a few hours before I turned in for bed. I felt like I had only been asleep for alittle while before it sounded like a monsoon was coming down around me but it did make for a pretty decent sleep.

I woke Sunday morning and fished for about 3 hours and caught fish just like I had done the day before but this time it was a little harder because the water was up quite a bit. I decided not to stay another night because I was afraid that I wouldnt make it to work on time Monday and headed back to the truck at around 1. Well the hike back up to the truck took me two and a half hours and was pretty intense the last mile but I wouldnt call it extremely difficult by any means.

All together it was a great trip and one that I would recommend. There is some great water on the upper section to fish and if I wasnt alone I probably would have explored alot of it but its different when your back there by yourself, you really dont want to take unnecessary risks. I probably brought 20+ fish to hand and missed many more I shouldnt have. But I look forward to making the trip again but this time hopefully not alone.

Vern 07-30-2007 10:43 PM

Great report, Don't think I could Handle the climb out right now, maybe by spring. Was the site crowded?

mmorgan135 07-30-2007 10:48 PM

Not a single person there. I only saw that couple walking out and that was the only person I saw all weekend on the trail.

Vern 07-31-2007 08:25 AM

That can be a good thing if you have someone with you, but a little unnerving if you are solo. Sounds great if I get some excess weight off I will take gaintfish next spring.

Jswitow 07-31-2007 10:13 PM

Campsite 53

53 is on Deep Creek? How light/heavy was your pack? Seems it has always been hard to carry less than 40 lb fishing and camping, even without waders. With waders usually right at 50 lb.
Good post, would have been a little unnerving as well when alone.
Best,
John

ijsouth 07-31-2007 11:07 PM

John,

According to my map, you're exactly right. It's 3.9 miles down the Deep Creek trail from 441, at the junction of the Fork Ridge Trail. I would love to fish that area sometime...perhaps I'll have more time in the future.

PeteCz 07-31-2007 11:21 PM

Trying it this weekend

MM, I think my son and I are going to attempt the trip, based on your report. How far from the upper trailhead were you when you first got to some fishable water? I think we might break the hike up and down in halves, and fish on the way to camp and then the way out, as well. Is that possible?

I know about 2 miles in, the trail and the stream are quite aways apart, but above that point as well as below sound doable. Is that true?

Elk riverrat 07-31-2007 11:45 PM

It's been 10 or more years since I was down in there, I'm in decent shape for my age and it was a hard long pull coming out, take your time and lots of water.

Like most I seem to always end up carrying mine and some of my wifes and the kids were still home back then.

In 1986 I carried a measured 82 pounds 5+ miles into the back country, my son was 6 at the time, we stayed 6 days and seen no one, but bears, bobcats, hogs, snakes and lots of BROOKIES.

But wouldn't do it again even if I could go back in time.

pineman19 08-01-2007 07:31 AM

Hello,

I have always been curious about trying the hike into the headwaters of Deep Creek. Would like to try it once before I get much older, probably a day trip just to get a feel of the area before I jumped into anything more serious. Sounds like the last stretch uphill is a bear. Do you think a day trip is feasible to get a few hours of fishing in before darkness sets in? I have looked at that drainage too many times from the road, and would to get a closer look in the near future.

Thanks,

Neal

mmorgan135 08-01-2007 04:40 PM

I had a pretty heavy pack with me because I was planning on staying an extra night and had packed in food for an extra day so that was some extra weight that wouldnt have been there if my trip would have stayed as planned. I think it took about 30-45 minutes of walking before I could hear and see deep creek. You start out above the river and eventually make it down to some places where you could access. The problem with the trail is that it does follow the creek almost the entire rest of the way to the campsite once you reach it but sometimes you are way above the creek.

I started at the campsite and then worked my way upstream until I could get back on the trail again. I probably fished for an hour or so before I made it back to the stream. There is a campsite that is off the trail that makes for an easy exit once you reach it. But there is great water above and below the campsite.

The hike there wasnt bad at all. But the hike out is tough for the last little bit. I dont know if I would do it all again alone. I didnt feel like I was taking a big risk with just the hike in and camping but when I was fishing away from the trail and a 45 minute walk back to camp and food, the thought of falling and twisting my ankle or any other problem was pretty unsettling. I only saw a few snakes and they were all on the trail. At the campsite there is a small ridge that is directly behind my tent and there is some small vegetation growing half way up the hill. When I woke up Sunday morning it looke like someone had been down the side of the hill on a snow sled because the grass was all laid down in one direction, so I dont really want to think what kind of visitor I might have had that night.

I would be real intersetted in makeing another trip to the campsite with another person sometime but doing it alone again will probably not happen. Let me know if I can give you guys any more information.