Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Backcountry (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   favorite time of year to camp? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8939)

Vern 08-16-2007 06:04 PM

favorite time of year to camp?

Just walked in the house 5:00pm. my thermometer was showing 102 on the front porch in the shade. my wife asked me when my next camping trip is. if it stays like this late Oct or early nov. What is your favorite time to hike and camp in the gsmp?

Marmot 08-16-2007 08:20 PM

Anytime in the Fall when the high temps are in the low 70's.. Next being the Spring under the same conditions.. Not sure when that is gonna be this year.. Hopefully when the temps drop maybe we will start gettin some rain...

Marmot

David Knapp 08-18-2007 06:06 PM

I'll second that...fall is my absolute favorite!!!

buckeyetrouter 08-19-2007 07:24 AM

has to be fall.....there seems to be something magical and invigorating in the mountain air during the fall....and top that off with the leaf colors and good fishing......cooler temps for good sleeping and a nice campfire with friends and family around......now I'm getting the itch.....Is there anything better than a camp breakfast in cast iron over the camp fire.....I can smell that combinaton of wood burning and sizzling bacon right now.......it's hard to beat a cmapfire breakfast and a thick cup of joe.......

buckeyetrouter

Troutman 08-21-2007 09:51 AM

My favorite would have to be spring camping. March to June the air is crisp and cool in the mornings and most importantly the fishing is usually great after the long winter. Most of the hatches are fairly predictable and you don't have to be on the water at daylight! Second would have to be fall also. Water temps cool back down and the big browns are out searching for a mate. Early morning breakfast by a warm fire before heading out for a day hiking through the forest of colors. Its all good!

Vern 08-21-2007 10:47 AM

The more I think about it my favorite time is the spring. The fishing i usualy great. But I also like the cooler temps. Nothing like getting up and starting the campfire and having a cup of Java on a chilly morning.
But any time is good, as long as I am in the backcountry.

tngreg 09-11-2007 10:48 PM

Well, lets hope the RAIN continues so the "NO FIRE" ban will be lifted. Sure would be nice to enjoy a evening camp fire this fall.

Greg

Rog 1 09-14-2007 09:44 AM

Guess any time I can get to the Park is my favorite time....but love the first couple of weeks in October.....come in on Sunday when weekenders are leaving to get kids back in school on Monday and leave on Friday when the kids are out for another weekend....the weather is cooling off, the fish are looking up(when there is enough water), the leafers are not yet out and there is plenty of room on the water....and that time is only two weeks away for me!!!!!!