Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (
-   Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs (
-   -   TU License Plates (

Byron Begley 11-02-2007 05:43 PM

TU License Plates
The sale of TU license plates is starting off slow. I just talked to Dick Davis from the Cumberland Chapter in Nashville. So far we have only sold 202. We must sell 1,000 for the plates to be made by June of next year. The extra cost is only $35 and it is tax deductible as a donation. Paula and I orderd ours months ago. 90% of the money derived from the sale of these plates stays in Tennessee for Trout projects. Please don't let this opportunity slip away. If you live in another state and can't use the plate your $35 donation counts so please consider that.

Thank you,


Byron Begley 12-17-2007 12:20 PM

Great post Byron.

But did you know that as of today we have pre-sold only 275 plates. I bet people are waiting until the last minute. We'll sell 1,000 for sure. But we're making Dick Davis nervous by procrastinating. This will be a huge fund raising tool for trout fishing in Tennessee. We don't want this opportunity to slip away.


ttas67 12-17-2007 02:09 PM

considering knox county has the added wheel tax, that'd push my plates to almost $100 a year. although I think the plates are great, it's just too much for me. I wonder if this is not a deterrent for some others.

tennswede 12-17-2007 03:35 PM


I have been thinking along the same lines, If I understand it it is every year also. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a one time $35 extra.

Byron Begley 12-17-2007 07:26 PM

That is a lot of money especially if you pay a wheel tax. I didn't know Knox County has one. However, it's my understanding that Friends of the Smokies raises $1/2 Million through the sale of license plates. I also understand that the $35 is tax deductible. Maybe the wheel tax is too. I don't know for sure. Ask your accountant. But you guys are both right, that could be a deterrent. I feel good about it because a lot of money will go to trout fishery programs in Tennessee. I look at it more as a donation. And I think it would look cool on my old truck.


tennswede 12-17-2007 09:04 PM


You are right it's not really about the money, anyone who can fly fish year round like me can afford it, it's just that I think Knox County residents are a little hesitant with a wheel tax on top of it. I will try to pitch in when it will get closer to spring. I'm in the middle of starting up my fly tying again and man I will not have any spare cash until April for all the fly tying stuff I will buy. LOL.

Elk riverrat 12-17-2007 11:13 PM

if people that can afford it would only buy them one time, all we need as I understand is the 1000 to get the plates pressed, then after that you don't have to renew to keep it going, correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a Smokies tag for a few years and let it go, I still see them?

tennswede 12-17-2007 11:36 PM

Unless I missed the whole deal, you do have to pay $90 every year to get tags, the extra $35 is due every year for having the special plate.

PeteCz 12-18-2007 09:58 AM

Extra $35 each year
Hans, you are correct, you have to pay $35 extra each year you have them. However, we only need to presell 1000 this year. Once they go into production you can opt-out the following year and go back to the standard plates.

I've sent mine in...I fished brookie streams about 20 times this year, its the least I could do to help out...that's less than $2 a visit, I'm going to consider it an annual parking fee:biggrin:

Vern 12-18-2007 02:02 PM

I have the Friends of the Great Smokey mountians and tennessee wildlfie federation plates, in davidson county cost its @ 76 for regular tags the 35 extra for the special plate. $111 give or take a couple of dollars. and this is every year. Most of us are members of some conservation group with a yearly membership, this is the same sort of thing. I am personaly a member of The Great smokey mountian assc, TU, FFF, NRA, TWF and there may be others I can't think of. You are not giving the extra money to the state but to whatever group you are supporting. My problem is if I get the TU plate who do I quit supporting? I may change the TWF to the TU plate. But have not decided yet.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.