Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Why We Fly Fish (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Request to the praying type. (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9521)

Rockyraccoon 12-09-2007 01:22 AM

Request to the praying type.

Hey folks,

I'd like to ask to be included in your prayers if you don't mind.

After 14 years of being a dedicated Marlboro professional...I'm doing my best to lay them down.

I've tried many times in the past, and have always failed miserably. Well, after a few days I'd fail anyway.

As of today I've got two and a half weeks under my belt without having a smoke. Up until last week I still had a pack laying around, but I destroyed them last week when I got to looking at the pack with my tongue hanging out of my mouth.

I've been leaning on the nicorette gum a little here lately but seem to be doing ok with it....but occasionally the urges are strong.

Anyway, your thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated as I'm finding out that I can use all the help I can get.

Thx folks.

ttas67 12-09-2007 01:29 AM

prayer sent.

buckeyetrouter 12-09-2007 08:45 AM

hey Rocky......I'm sure you know that there are many folks on this board who have accepted Jesus Christ as thier Lord and Savior so you should get many prayers. Anyways, Abby and I will put you in our prayers while you beat this........I won't wish you luck, I will congradulate you for when it does happen........

God Bless
buckeyetrouter

Paula Begley 12-09-2007 08:53 AM

Rocky

Consider it done.

Paula

donwinn 12-09-2007 09:32 AM

You can do it!

Rocky,

My father-in-law quit after about 25 years of smoking. He said the desire never really went fully away. So you have to get tough and get help from above as you are asking for. I knew a guy who tried everything. He finally just put them down and got a coffee stir that he chewed on all the time. He made it. This should give you at least 10 more years of fishing.

I will send up a prayer right now.

David Knapp 12-09-2007 10:50 AM

I'll definitely keep you in my prayers...

Philippians 4:13

boxman 12-09-2007 10:52 AM

Marlboros

Rocky,
The last one I smoked was December 31,1989. I still have urges occasionally but quitting them remains one of the things I am most proud of. Two of my high school buddies ended up being physicians and they really helped steer me away from them, but ultimately it is your own decision that matters most.
When I quit they were .90 per pack and I used the money I saved to buy myself a gift each month (usually fishing related)-with the current prices, you should be able to save a chunk of money every 30 days.

Though I thought I could never stay off them, I have, and feel very strongly about never starting back. If you want to vent sometimes or just need someone to talk to about them, send me an e-mail, or better yet, come up to the soho or watauga and we'll do some fishing.

Boxman

ijsouth 12-09-2007 01:58 PM

Certainly, prayers on the way...I was an on/off smoker for about 10 years; I finally gave them up for good over 4 years ago - it's tough, but it sounds like you're already through the hardest part. I found that, once you got through the first 72 hours or so, it got a lot better. Eventually, the cravings will subside.

Every once in a great while, I get a craving, but it usually doesn't last long. Just think of all the money you'll save, that you can spend on flies, rods, etc.

irfishing 12-09-2007 02:30 PM

Rocky,
Congratulations. You will make it this time.
Prayers are a strong source of strength. Another one is one the way.
Elton

nvr2L8 12-09-2007 05:28 PM

Why We Fly Fish

So appropriate to have this post in this part of the board. It's not just about sharing fishing stories, suggestions on where to fish, gear, etc. It's also about folks with a kindred spirit stepping up with support, empathy and prayers for a family member in a struggle like this.

Rocky, your fly fishing family is solidly behind you. Congratulations for taking this on and ultimately beating it. It will happen.