Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Why We Fly Fish (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Little River Outfitters versus Big Boxes (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9888)

Groundhawg 02-20-2008 06:36 PM

Little River Outfitters versus Big Boxes

One of the pirmary reasons I hunger of another day on the river are the daily fishing reports that Byron posts. You can go to any of the Big Box sporting goods companies and never find a friendly message from the fishing department manager that reminds you of the last time you were in the woods or releasing a big brown for the next guy to catch. But I can count on going to the Little River Outfitters daily river report or go to the message board and get pumped for the next trip.

I think I also have a clue as to why some of the outfitters are going out of business. I don't think it is entirely due to the Big Box competition, I think it is there unwillingness to reach out to us dedicated fishermen in the same way the Byron reaches out on a daily basis. I am from Ohio and perhaps the most popular fly fishing shop in Ohio is Mad River Outfitters in Columbus. They have a fishing report link, but they haven't had a current posting since 12 January. Yes, it has been cold, the rains have made the river go up about the banks several times, but not reports. With such bad fishing conditions, you would think the folks at Mad River would have more than enough time to post some information that could make us long for the next fishing trip or trip to the store and replenish our supplies.

I want to say thanks to Bryon for his daily efforts and keeping me looking forward to the next fishing trip or hike in the woods.

Scott

Gerry Romer 02-20-2008 08:10 PM

Very sneaky! I see what you're up to and the answer is NO... you cannot have our Byron. We're keeping him in Townsend where he belongs. (Truth be known, there isn't enough gunpowder around to blast him out of his cozy little nest.)

Nice post, Scott!

Gerry

Groundhawg 02-20-2008 08:29 PM

Wouldn't think of trying to get Byron to move. Instead, I would rather move to Townsend. Then I could just drop by LLO anytime and share experiences.

Really, you just don't find the friendly interaction with fellow fishermen anyplace else on the web.

Jubal 02-20-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhawg (Post 47945)
Wouldn't think of trying to get Byron to move. Instead, I would rather move to Townsend.

...just for kicks and giggles I searched Townsend real estate for sale the other day....looks like they'll be no chance I could ever afford to own a house there anyhow...I would imagine the old time property owners are either ticked or tickled Dolly made their neighboring town famous......I'll keep hold in the foothills of NC until my ship comes in.

buckeyetrouter 02-20-2008 11:44 PM

hey groundhawg....I'm from Ohio also and used to shop at Mad River Outfitters.....now it seems that if you are not booking one of his $4000 trips to Argentina they want nothing to do with you ....I agree, LRO is my home town fly shop also, they just happen to be 427 miles from my front step....

buckeyetrouter
don't forget the lunar eclipse

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...r/DSC_0091.jpg

Groundhawg 02-21-2008 10:25 AM

Buckeytrouter,

Roger on the expensive trips. It always amazes me on how many people have so much money to give to others.

I find that the daily fishing reports and blogs on the message borad are like reading John Gierach. It is something that all of us can relate to and inspire us.

ccmmcc 02-21-2008 11:48 AM

Give me friendly customer service!

Buckeye,

I agree with you on Mad River Outfitters. I live close to them and I haven't been in there in many years. Even though we live in Ohio, my fishing partner and I buy all of our stuff from Little River Outfitters. MRO seems to have gotten too big for their britches!

highpockets 02-21-2008 02:48 PM

I work in a high-stress, defense contract office. It is the stuffiest, most boring job you can sit and imagine.

Once a day, in the morning, after I put out all of the fires from overnight, I read Byron's report! I let myself hear the river while I read, see the turkeys by his barn, see the snow on the mountains and when i'm done; I just feel a little better!

Stop writing it and I will hunt you down!

;-)

Byron Begley 02-21-2008 06:23 PM

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words. I believe interaction between us and you is good for relationships. The fishing report and the message board both work to that end. I enjoy the daily routine of writing that report. It is good way to start the day. For an hour I think about the Smokies, you, fly fishing and business. Writing that report every day has helped me understand how we fit in, where we are going, how you feel and think, and our position in the fly fishing market. It is mental exercise. And what is most important is for us to understand how you feel and think. It is also important for you to realize what our day is like and how it feels to be in our shoes.

And Gerry, you know I ain't leav'n.

Highpockets (great name and avatar) I ain't stop'n.

Thank you for your support and friendship. You are a great bunch of folks.

Byron

Byron Begley 02-21-2008 07:08 PM

Scott,

I read your post again and it has inspired me as well as giving me a better understanding of why people like reading the fishing report. I have a broader perspective now thanks to you and many other friends on this board. I was talking to Daniel today about the way the report and our website looks. I designed it and almost every page on this website. I'm thinking about hiring a real artist to come up with a better look. All they have to do is come up with a concept and I can take it from there. I also thought about taking some graphic design classes at our local Tech School. I'm almost 57 years old. I might not fit in. Or maybe I would. Anyway, thanks to you and all for your thoughts.

Byron