Thread: Millers
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I was not trying to be condescending in my spawn post; just wanted to share an FYI for those that are interested. I really do not think fishermen walking on the beds are their biggest risk. Just something to think about and be aware of...
Oh, I wasn't taking it as being condescending - not at all. I was merely pointing out that I may have been blissfully unaware. Though I know a redd when I see one, I was just thrilled to be out and about... but I think its a good message to tune in during the spring bows and fall browns spawning seasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I like to fish small dry caddis flies as midge imatations. The float and present super well. Plus, the fish seem to not care if they are caddis or midges. Note; midge emergers (18-20) have been working very well for me when fishing to a rise. Even though you cannot see the fly; let it present and keep your line ready for a take. Also; dropper rigs are good to get those bottom fish. I like to use a splitshot drop ahead of a nymph.
I actually do use a small elk hair ( Tiemco 501 #22) for both a midge and black fly dry. I hate fooling with that small of hackle so goin x caddis style works just as good. I know that in spring there are some sizable caddis that do come off and as well as those fish were feeding, I figured why not. Lot of times I'll fish a caddis with a midge emerger dropper, or a with sulpher and so on, but with just enough tag to keep the emerger in the upper column. Another way to do it, is do the indicator and shot, then lengthen your distance from the shot to your emerger - then the key here is frogs fanny your emerger. It'll float up tethered and the fanny puts a bubbly sheath on the fly and reinforces the emerging look. High sticking works, but I usually do that in the park.
Thanks for the replies guys...