View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Default Clinch River today

Ok, so I pulled up to Millers area about an hour before the discharge was supposed to start. I figured I had a good hour and a half to two hours.

I started in the shallow fast water since I'm not the best caster yet. I was using a BHPT about a foot behind an indicator. Then somebody waded across and set up right in the area I was working my way towards, so I decided to move downstream.

As I was walking on the bank right where the water gets deeper, I saw a HUGE rainbow come out of the water. The guy that was fishing that area had hooked him but I guess it came off. He looked over, I think to make sure I had seen what happened. I assured him that I did.

Then he told me that he was done and to take his spot. Every time I have been to the Clinch there are always at least two people right there, so I figured it must be good. He very graciously gave me a couple of sulphurs to use.

A few casts in, and I hook into this. Just look at that color!

He was almost the length of my arm from fingertip to elbow, which I immediately measured when I got home to be 15-16 inches.

Over the next 20 minutes, I hooked a couple of browns, this being one of them

The fish were rising everywhere, at least one splash every second. A more experienced fly fisherman could have caught one on every cast I bet. I was trying my best to watch my drift but was still getting some drag. I didn't want to leave, but it was 1:45 and the sirens had gone off at 1.

I don't know if he is a board member, but regardless, thanks for the spot!