View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Default 3 rivers...... few fish

I planned a trip to the French broad in my jon boat for Saturday. As I arrived at the seven islands WMA at 6am I found about 50 others launching. They were about to start a jet boat river bass tourney. I turned around and then headed over to nances ferry on the Holston another 45 min away.
Arriving at NF , there was only one other boat there and a couple of fly fishermen on the shoal. The boat though was up as shallow as you can get and within casting distance of the fly guy. I really hate that when I'm wading and someone in a boat crowds me. I figure they are in a boat and can fish anywhere so why here?
I launched and went downstream a half mile to the top of the next shoal and threw some topwater with little success other than a few largemouth or maybe spotted bass. I think they were spawning as they did not put up much of a fight. caught a couple of little smallies and rockbass also.
I went back upstream to find several more boats and a large group of canoes working downstream towards me. I stayed a little while longer but It was getting pretty crowded with each other hopping around one another down the banks. I finally just resigned to leave and try again another day. 2 rivers so far and only a few fish to hand.
I went home and mowed the yard, unloaded the boat and put away everything. I decided to relax awhile and wait till evening to wade fish another river. I noticed Friday while at work, there were lots of fishermen on the lil pigeon. I saw at least 10 people wading and a drift boat also had just launched below hardees and was working downstream. It has been getting pounded over the last couple of weeks. I went up about 6pm to a secret spot (ha ha!) with my old trusty fenwick fiberglass 4wt and some bluegill flies. I had a blast catching some beautiful redbreast and rockbass over the next couple of hours along with a few smallmouth. 3 rivers in one day and while it started out pretty frustrating, just catching some bream and small bass on a light rod on a warm evening always seems to take away the stress!

spotted or largemouth?