View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Default Dice?

The old timers were big on thinking that dace were a key bait fish. Google "dace pattern" for Creek Chub Bait Co. Off the top of my head I am thinking that Heddon and Shakespeare had "dace patterns" as well. Even in those days of lure making, the rule was "Monkey See, Monkey Do." Whether dace pattern finished lures were or were not all that effective is unknown to me, but if you google to see a few, you have to admit they are pretty stunning to look at.
CCBC had dace available on most of its lures for decades. It is most common in the Injured minnow series and their relatively obscure fly rod baits. I had Dingbat in dace, and a during the 1930s hardware store chain in Kentucky “special ordered” side-hook Saragossa Minnows in dace. These are pretty tough to find examples. They are almost as rare as CCBC Friday Night Specials, where the painters at the factory took rejected wooden baits and painted them as they chose. Sometime back before I my intervention (to stop me from collecting old lure) I had an Injured Minnow that was air brushed signed by all of the ladies on the line at that time at the Garrett plant.