View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrt View Post
Spent a few hours below Millers Saturday morning. Got 2 on the line within 20 minutes which is usually a bad sign (for me).

First was a nice size rainbow that jumped 3-4 times before he broke me off at the tippet / leader connection. Next was a 8" brookie - nice color but he didn't put up hardly any fight. Tried to take a picture but my camera was set to video mode and by the time I changed it to stills the little dude wiggled free.

As the water finished coming down my luck dried up as well. Missed a few subtle takes but that was it.

Both fish came after I let the fly drift directly below me and had started to retrieve (thanks for the tip S. Madison). I was going without an indicator and struggled to keep a tight line whenever I fished up or across.

When I got back to the road there were 7 other cars parked in the clearing! Busy morning but everyone was kind enough to stay in their own area.

Coolest experience of the morning. As I was retrieving for the 1,000th time, a blue heron landed near the bank, took a couple steps and stabbed the water, coming up with a good size fish in his beak. Another heron flew down after him and he took off, fish dangling out his mouth the entire time.

Those heron make it look so easy don't they? It amazes me the size fish they take. I've seen them with some large ones, but never been able to get a good picture.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>