View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 01:06 PM

Talking Seeing double (Long since no one else will post anything)

This year I signed up with acid deposition sampling team doing bi-monthly water samples. My team does the Road Prong Area of the park. I found out our team leader Steve Darnell live less than a mile from me, so we have carpooled the last two samplings, and fished after the sampling

Last sampling I even got to meet Charlie B - Nvr2L8, who was a pleasure to meet and chat with. That time we finished just at 11:30 and he thought we had done the sampling in record time. Well yesterday not even trying we finished at 10:30. After dropping off the park service truck, we headed out of the park to our fishing destination. We got a quick bite to eat, and were at the trailhead in no time.

I was thrilled to see only 1 other car at the trailhead, and since they had Ontario tags, I doubted they were fishing, and was thrilled to have an awesome Smokies stream all to ourselves on a Saturday. As we hiked up the trail we soon ran into the family from Ontario. I asked if they made it to the focal point up the trail, but the first ridge they had to climb up turned them around. I told them how great the focal point was and a few of them were ready to turn around, but in the end they headed back to touristville. After a short climb we were now at a crossing, and headed a short ways more to the creek crossing where our fishing would begin.

The stream was at a great level for this time of the year, and within a minute landed this little guy.

At first it seemed like they were all hitting the dry fly, which would be nomal for this time of the year, but the first time it has happened to me this whole year.

And now for the target specie

Just as I considered cutting off my yellowhammer dropper, I strated to get the majority of fish on it. Go figure. Still "Hammertime" in Tennessee. Steve seemed to be having a good time and catching plenty of fish, although he said he was still missing most of the strikes. Here's the scenery as we walked upstream.

As I took a break waiting on Steve to catch up, I glanced at the end of a rotting tree branch and watched this ant. I'm not sure if they are ant larvae, or if it was termite larvae that he was eating. Life is everyehere in the Smokies

It soon began to rain, and it brought back memories of a trip Freddie and I did on this section of stream a few months back where we got rained on, got displaced on the bail out back to the trail, and got back to the car with barely enough dexterity to unlock and open the car door . Luckily today was 10 degrees warmer, and it only managed to soak us to the bone

The fish loved the rain and they began to feed. After thinking I had landed a huge one, I found out I had landed my first double of the year. I asked Steve if he wanted to keep fishing or bail, but the fishing must have been good to him also because he wanted to push on. You can see the rain drops

More of these guys, and the quality of fish was getting much better, and the Rainbows were fewer and fewer

Another pretty one

Pictures a bit blured Trying to get good shots out of a cheap camera in the rain is tough.

Continued as I'm out of pic room

Last edited by duckypaddler; 07-22-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: needed to proof read