View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Can't wait to hear your review of the biolite stove. This thing has had my interest for a couple of years now, but I have been afraid it was a little too gimmick-ey.....plus I was worried about the ability to start a fire inside it with the rainforest tinder we commonly find in the smokies.

Please do post a review after you use it. It would come in really handy for charging a gps.
I was a pre-order customer but for some reason they didn't get it shipped out with the other pre-orders. Mine got shipped in the first batch of orders from the new web site.

I'll be sure to post a review - the trip is about 7 weeks away still, but I started thinking about it and getting excited when my PTO request got approved.

I can already say its build quality seems sturdy and well thought out. The way the heat pipe and fan assembly attaches to the stove portion is particularly clever. One of the folding legs locks over a tab on the fan assembly into place when you fold the leg out, so you don't need to worry about it coming detached. I was worried about this at first, I pictured flimsy hooks or keyhole style attachments.

I think the rainforest tinder could be an issue, and will plan on bringing some assistance for each trip. I plan on packing the compressed wood & wax fire starters the first trip; biollite supplied some of these with the stove. You are allowed to use "solid biomass" but are not supposed to use liquid accelerants or gels; I suspect the hot cubes like Wetfire and Esbit will be out along with sterno, and vaseline cotton balls. But the old classics such as dryer lint and wax or wax soaked cardboard applicator tampons cut into small pieces will be perfect.

-Matt-