Thread: Clinch Monsters
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
There are 2 lakes, Buggs Island Reservoir VA and Santee Cooper SC, that are able to contain a self sustained population of land locked Stripers. One of the main criteria that have to be met are for there to be a continuous flow of river to allow 48 hours for the roe to free float to arrive at the static water before hatching. I live on Buggs Island and nearby we have the Vic Thomas hatchery where they supply the majority of stocker Stripers to the rest of the U.S. They exchange these with other states for various other species to stock here in VA. They don't put any Stipers back in here.
As far as temp, they like colder water, but, the surface temp now is at 76 F and they crash the points for Threadfin Shad in the evenings so they tolerate warmer water just fine.
I've read reports that striper will follow bait anywhere. Even when the bait goes into level of water that does not have enough oxygen for their survival. The bait will stay in this level not to get eatin and in turn die from lack of oxygen. The stripers will follow suit with their focus on eating them and in turn die also. Their focus is one thing, eating. Trout have much more protein.I believe where oyu have trout and shad the striper will pick the trout everytime.
I have a friend who striper fishes. He does great with shad patterns @ Ft.Loudon Dam but when he fishes Tellico below the dam and down stream he only does well on rainbow lures especially the larger fish.I think the proof is in the pudding.
Lynn